Dad Found Fish!

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Vekta
Has liked: 4 times

Dad Found Fish!

Post by Vekta » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:05 am

I don't know how similar angling for Australian bass is to Large Mouth bass over here but I thought the forum might appreciate this one. I finally got the father unit out from in front of the TV. He told me in the car he found it amusing that he was the one teaching me how to fish when I was a kid, now I'm teaching him. :lo: I guided him onto fish using a 50mm Rapala Orginal Floating Minnow.

Even in fresh water these Original Floating Minnows always seems a little fragile to me. I personally like using 70mm Yozuri Pin's Minnows. I'm not sure they're any more or less durable than Rapalas. We really don't have fish with big teeth here to really test it out. What hard body minnows do you all use over there that seem to hold together fairly well?
Attachments
20210801_170905.jpg
Decent size for our shrinking creek

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Dad Found Fish!

Post by Sebb » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:31 am

I remember I took my Dad fishing, we only caught few undersized pinkies and a flathead, but the smile on his face was priceless.

The Aussie bass here isn't toothy either, I caught few on rapalas, no issue, no damage.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:45 am

Always a great day fishing with the old man...

Most hardbodies usually work well here. But I'd say the daiwa double clutch. Atomic shiners, various rapalas in similar shapes would be the best.
There's plenty more that work ofcourse. Just depends on personal.preference...
Targeting bass (Australian bass, not big or small mouth like you have there) here isn't as easy as what you guys have over there. So be prepared for that...

Vekta
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Vekta » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:17 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:45 am
Always a great day fishing with the old man...

Most hardbodies usually work well here. But I'd say the daiwa double clutch. Atomic shiners, various rapalas in similar shapes would be the best.
There's plenty more that work ofcourse. Just depends on personal.preference...
Targeting bass (Australian bass, not big or small mouth like you have there) here isn't as easy as what you guys have over there. So be prepared for that...
A little bit of reading and I see why that could be. Unlike Australian Bass bass (with the exception of stripe bass) our species don't migrate to the ocean. They aren't as affected by the construction of dams if at all. Our freshwater bass species have a lot less to contend with aside from heavily pressured bodies of water. With high fishing pressure they do become extremely difficult to catch to the point where ultra light finesse techniques are called for to even see a strike. There have been a bunch of techniques that gained popularity for this over the years. (Ned Rig, Mojo Rig, Drop Shot, Neko rig etc.)

My personal favorite is floating a 3" worm "wacky rigged" on a jighead under a slip float next to current or submerged cover and twitching the rod tip just enough to make it move. :wt:

It seems the B.A.S.S. organization has made it over there. According to the article the tackle used is very similar. From what they list in article I have the U.S. equivalent of all those in my tackle already. That's encouraging to know if I ever get far enough inland to fish fresh water at the right time.

First AU B.A.S.S. Tournmant

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:28 am

As a (very) long time user of Rapala lures I have found them very durable in both fresh and salt water.

My father had zero interest in fishing and when I was in about Form 4 at high school I persuaded him to fish in the Glenelg with me near Casterton. He hooked a very respectable Brown Trout (on a Rapala if I remember correctly) while standing on a log hanging out about 10 feet above the water and reeled in the the fish right up to the rod tip - when it fell off! A deathly silence ensued!

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”