Fishing near Mansfield & Mt Beauty

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
dazza555

Fishing near Mansfield & Mt Beauty

Post by dazza555 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:38 am

Hi all,
Work has finished up, my car is packed and I'm leaving in 1 hour for a 3 day long fish and camp around the Mansfield area and probably heading over to Mt Beauty towards the end. I'm using google maps as a guide and since I'm camping in the back of my SUV picking up and moving to the next spot is no biggy. Was wanting some input from this knowledgeable crowd about not to miss places along the way or the best spots to try. I'm hoping for trout but have the rigs for yellow, reddies and cod on board too. No boat or waders but I do have board shorts and sturdy sandals so wading into a stream for an hour or 2 wouldn't be off the cards (nor would it be the first time). Hope you all have a merry xmas and thanks for any help!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Fishing near Mansfield & Mt Beauty

Post by DougieK » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:23 am

Depending on exactly how much driving / effort you want to put in, The Kiewa river is full of small trout.

My favorite place to fish up there is Pretty Valley Pondage. There are two reservoirs at Falls Creek which were built as practice runs for Snowy scheme. Rocky Valley is the big one that you can see from the resort, if you take the high road through the resort towards Mt Mackay, then drop down into the next valley you'll find Pretty Valley Pondage. There are two tracks, one to the Weir and one the Causeway. The Weir side is deep and productive, but at dusk the whole place comes alive with surface hits, and you can site cast little trout for about an hour, without fail, every day.

At dawn / dusk it is literally one of the most scenic non-ocean spots you can fish.

Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

oli fishing

Post by oli fishing » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:32 am

Lake Nillahcootie is really good fishery for cod and yellas not sure if you’ll head up that way buts it’s just north of Mansfield and is a great fishery never disappoints

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:49 am

Any small stream should produce fish
Gra

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:40 pm

Board Shorts and Sturdy Sandals not a good idea - You are heading into snake country in both locations - Waders or Gumboots plus long legged pants - It's the one you do not see that bites.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:48 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:23 am
Depending on exactly how much driving / effort you want to put in, The Kiewa river is full of small trout.

My favorite place to fish up there is Pretty Valley Pondage. There are two reservoirs at Falls Creek which were built as practice runs for Snowy scheme. Rocky Valley is the big one that you can see from the resort, if you take the high road through the resort towards Mt Mackay, then drop down into the next valley you'll find Pretty Valley Pondage. There are two tracks, one to the Weir and one the Causeway. The Weir side is deep and productive, but at dusk the whole place comes alive with surface hits, and you can site cast little trout for about an hour, without fail, every day.

At dawn / dusk it is literally one of the most scenic non-ocean spots you can fish.

Not to mention the huts nearby that you can camp in.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

dazza555

Post by dazza555 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:45 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely try pretty valley, either before work goes back or over a long weekend.

Unfortunately for me every single free to camp site I visited that was near a river or lake was chocoblock. I even had to reverse 200m up a steep dirt track to get out of one site because so many people had crammed in, there was literally no room for me to turn or get much past the end of the entrance. I know it's Christmas holidays but I figured maybe there'd be room, covid scares and all but nope. I did end up camping 1 night near the upper Goulburn (ignoring the no camping sign) but got there a little late for the dusk fish. The morning was really foggy over the water and no action for me despite trying well into sun up. In the end I did some site seeing in the state forests, got lost found my way, got lost again and eventually decided to head home for Christmas day.

If the weather allows I'll probably have a fish out at Black Rock in the evening tomorrow. At the very least I now know of about 9 good free to camp sites with fishing around that area, just not during holiday season.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”