BUSH FIRES AND THEIR IMPACT ON STREAMS

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

BUSH FIRES AND THEIR IMPACT ON STREAMS

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:46 pm

While there have been plenty of pictures of dead stock, kangaroos, injured koalas etc there has been very little about fish. The only thing I have seen so far was a stream in NSW where the water was 27 degrees and a few very dead (and boiled?) trout. History has shown us that not only heat from the fires can kill fish but another is run-off after the fires - with large amounts of ash and soil being washed into the streams - particularly if there is heavy rain soon after the fires. This will kill all the fish in a stream as surely as anything else. Either way I am sure that it will take quite some time for streams in bush fire areas to recover. All in all between the deaths of people, 2,000 or so houses and numerous outbuildings, businesses, stock, fences, wildlife and whatever else has been lost - fish are at the low end of the priority list.

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Re: BUSH FIRES AND THEIR IMPACT ON STREAMS

Post by muzza43 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:49 pm

All that I can say is that the Plenty River in Greensborough is now "BLACK". muzza43.

' BLACK

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:17 pm

I’m sure I recall Truedogz saying an important macca habitat was damaged when the extra erosion silted it up after a fire went through the catchment area
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:00 pm

Paulanderson wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:46 pm
While there have been plenty of pictures of dead stock, kangaroos, injured koalas etc there has been very little about fish. The only thing I have seen so far was a stream in NSW where the water was 27 degrees and a few very dead (and boiled?) trout. History has shown us that not only heat from the fires can kill fish but another is run-off after the fires - with large amounts of ash and soil being washed into the streams - particularly if there is heavy rain soon after the fires. This will kill all the fish in a stream as surely as anything else. Either way I am sure that it will take quite some time for streams in bush fire areas to recover. All in all between the deaths of people, 2,000 or so houses and numerous outbuildings, businesses, stock, fences, wildlife and whatever else has been lost - fish are at the low end of the priority list.
Spot on Paul,
Read a report of fish death's in a NSW river, due to runoff from the fires
50-60 klms of river affected, millions of dead fish.
Locals used pumps to try and aerate the water
Gra

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”