info on catching bardi grubs??

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Paulanderson
Has liked: 48 times

Re: info on catching bardi grubs??

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Here in Africa Texas it varies from country to country but in Uganda for example cups of "beer nuts" in a bar are actually small roasted grasshoppers. They are quite sweet and crunchy. In Zambia the equivalent are roasted caterpillars - and so on. Years ago when I worked for the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs in Canberra when the Bogong Moths were in big numbers up in the Brindabellas some of the local Aboriginals would bring in scorched (to get rid of the wings and legs etc) Bogong Moths for snacks! I caught several big trout under the bridge lights at Lake Burley Griffin when the Bogong Moths were around and falling into the water. A large muddler minnow worked a treat! No trout (or at best very few) in the lake these days. One wonders if the occasional "boof" goes on under the lights as there are some big cod in the lake.

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 am

How about these https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... st-fingers ?

Chicken finger things. A guy I fish with was talking them up last time we went out, reckons cod love them.

alexcarrillo

Post by alexcarrillo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 pm

thanks for all the reply guys. the last day we fished we used cheese and got about 5 cod to about 11 on grubs.. cheese definitely did work!! and a lot cheeper. cheers

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Paulanderson wrote:Here in Africa Texas it varies from country to country but in Uganda for example cups of "beer nuts" in a bar are actually small roasted grasshoppers. They are quite sweet and crunchy. In Zambia the equivalent are roasted caterpillars - and so on. Years ago when I worked for the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs in Canberra when the Bogong Moths were in big numbers up in the Brindabellas some of the local Aboriginals would bring in scorched (to get rid of the wings and legs etc) Bogong Moths for snacks! I caught several big trout under the bridge lights at Lake Burley Griffin when the Bogong Moths were around and falling into the water. A large muddler minnow worked a treat! No trout (or at best very few) in the lake these days. One wonders if the occasional "boof" goes on under the lights as there are some big cod in the lake.
I worked it out Paul
You're part of celebrity get me out of here
Feed them to the lions, I reckon
Cheers Gra

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Texas wrote:
Paulanderson wrote:Here in Africa Texas it varies from country to country but in Uganda for example cups of "beer nuts" in a bar are actually small roasted grasshoppers. They are quite sweet and crunchy. In Zambia the equivalent are roasted caterpillars - and so on. Years ago when I worked for the Dept of Aboriginal Affairs in Canberra when the Bogong Moths were in big numbers up in the Brindabellas some of the local Aboriginals would bring in scorched (to get rid of the wings and legs etc) Bogong Moths for snacks! I caught several big trout under the bridge lights at Lake Burley Griffin when the Bogong Moths were around and falling into the water. A large muddler minnow worked a treat! No trout (or at best very few) in the lake these days. One wonders if the occasional "boof" goes on under the lights as there are some big cod in the lake.
I worked it out Paul
You're part of celebrity get me out of here
Feed them to the lions, I reckon
Cheers Gra
So your the person that one person that actually watches that crap Graham, they said someone was watching it :rofl:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

CharlieCeeDee

Post by CharlieCeeDee » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:43 am

Yes finding and retrieving Bardi's is hard work but in my opinion worth the effort. I have used cheese and Bardi grubs at the same time and the Bardi"s outfished cheese every time. They are easily the best legal bait I have used. My method of catching them is to scrape away the top 25mm of soil using a wide bladed hoe to find the holes then finding a long stem of grass (phalaris is good) to tease the grub into grabbing hold then smoothly but quickly pulling the grub out. The grass stem needs to have the seed head removed then tying a small knot at the end. I usually look for them in late November and store them in the tubes that you would normally buy Berocca"s or hydrolyte tablets and keep them in the bottom of the fridge. They will last for months. November is good as its not the sort of thing you would want to do in mid summer. There are easier ways to get the grub out but using wire coil or loop extractors often damages the grub. Best way to find the grubs is plan ahead. Look for the discarded Bardi shells after the first rains of autumn then go back to the same trees at the start of the next cod season.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:55 am

I'm a bit late to this thread, as usual. but I have found that the best way to get Bardi grubs / witchity grubs is to just dig around. I'm fortunate enough to have a large creek running through my property and every time I plan to go fishing I go along the bank and just dig in spots that look good. I use a small pickaxe and I dig for worms for trout bait, but in a bait-finding session I will come back with a heap of good sized worms AND around 5-10 big grubs. i don't target trees or anything, but just open ground works the best for me. the area around the creek banks it absolutely littered with red river gums though so that will have something to do with it.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”