Marron? Really?

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Marron? Really?

Post by ChrisTaylor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm

There's a little bit of chatter online about there being a self-sustaining population of marron in Devilbend and Bittern Reservoirs. Anyone had experience catching them? I assume that a bait net -- the sort you can grab for a tenner from BCF -- is inappropriate. I'm also under the impression that marron cannot be transported live, and must be dispatched immediately. Also true?

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Marron? Really?

Post by Boonanza » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 pm

A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:43 am

Caught some last night on the Mornington peninsula. Took me a few trips to work out which areas they are in.

Used the open top yabbie nets which fold flat. Bait used was old bacon, fishcake and cooked steamed chicken skin left overs from lunch. Also caught them on mango skins/seeds and old marinara mix in the past.

Water level was the highest Ive ever seen it, but haven't fished for them in a few years.

cheers Shaz
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

samsfishingaustralia

Post by samsfishingaustralia » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:02 am

shazdoggg wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:43 am
Caught some last night on the Mornington peninsula. Took me a few trips to work out which areas they are in.

Used the open top yabbie nets which fold flat. Bait used was old bacon, fishcake and cooked steamed chicken skin left overs from lunch. Also caught them on mango skins/seeds and old marinara mix in the past.

Water level was the highest Ive ever seen it, but haven't fished for them in a few years.

cheers Shaz
Where on the peninsula if you don't mind me asking??

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:08 pm

samsfishingaustralia wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:02 am
shazdoggg wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:43 am

cheers Shaz
Where on the peninsula if you don't mind me asking??

Would love to tell you where I caught them but unfortunately the only reason they haven’t been fished out is due to the fact that not many people know about this location.

I spent months searching for them a few years back, scouring the internet for clues. Took me several trips to multiple locations before I caught my first one. If you have your heart set on catching some, you will cherish the journey.

Cheers Shaz
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:39 pm

If you think KGW fishos are cagey about their secret spots, try talking to marron fishermen lol. They wont even tell you how to get back to the car park.

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”