Type of rig for soft plastics

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Ploh

Re: Type of rig for soft plastics

Post by Ploh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:15 pm

Yep, might have to get my hands on some 1/2 or 1/4 oz jig heads. Does it matter if it's ball shaped or arrow shaped?

snapperslayer wrote:
Mate, I would try anywhere from the boat ramp and keep moving opposite to the rivers mouth(towards left side). You do not need to cast far for flatties.

It is a bit too cold for them at the moment imo. Most of the beach is very shallow but if you can cast into the boating channel which is deep and work you placcies in, you will get on to a few flatties for sure. In summer would be a good idea to wade the beach in boardies in that way you will cover more ground and cast further as well.

There should be a few salmons around once the water clears up a bit, usually tiddlers but good fun on plastics. The only thing which puts me off is the bloody weed.

Hope it helps :)
Thanks for the advice snapperslayer. You seem to know the area well which makes the advice just that bit sweeter.

I tried two spots today.

1) Theres a very small indent in the road after the turn past the new breakwall along Duncans Road. I parked there and walked down to the sandy shore which was enclosed by rocks on both ends (closure of jet ski jetty sign in front of the beach)

2) Drove a bit further down to another parking spot where a walk down a grassy hill lead to the shore (around the corner from the playground)

The boat ramp can get quite crowded on some days and the area in front of the playground usually has picnic-ers and families with kids so I tend to avoid the area for safety and a bit of peace.

Return to “Fishing techniques”