How far can you cast?

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Re: How far can you cast?

Post by JS270 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:42 am

Casting distance is dependant on a number of factors from the beach, wind direction, rigs being used , design of the rod and then the capability of the caster. Most people would be hitting between 60 to 80 meters for a good cast with the standatd payyernoster rigs and medium size baits . Using bigger baits will impact on that a lot.

When thinking about casting distance realise that the average footy filed is around the 150 meter Mark , if you can get a baited right that far its a very good cast.

Do not try casting where there are other people as it is very dangerous especially if you are not using a shock leader . The rule of thumb is that you require 10 pounds (4.5kg ) breaking strain for every oz (28 grams ) weight. So if casting say a 4 oz ( 112 gram ) weight you need minimum 40 and preferably 50 pound breaking strain shock leader.

But as I said before don't do it if there are people around you .

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 am

i struggle casting with anything bigger than a 3-4oz sinker on my 12ft surf rod, i guesstimate i get about 50-60m on a good cast. But i seem to be able to get pretty far even with my smaller 6'10, 6'6 light bream rods too, about 30-40m so i guess if i ever want to do some decent surf fishing i will need to look at a better technique of course.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:20 am

sasquatch972 wrote:i struggle casting with anything bigger than a 3-4oz sinker on my 12ft surf rod, i guesstimate i get about 50-60m on a good cast. But i seem to be able to get pretty far even with my smaller 6'10, 6'6 light bream rods too, about 30-40m so i guess if i ever want to do some decent surf fishing i will need to look at a better technique of course.

You don't NEED to cast as far as you think, to catch fish.

I've caught sharks 15m from the waters edge out to about 100m from the waters edge. There are very few spots I fish, where you need to cast a phenomenal distance

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:24 am

The ability to cast distance is only allows people the option when needed, fish to the conditions and work the waters that you can. If you can't get or don't want to learn to that is up too the individual to decide what makes them happy.

Enjoy the sport of fishing and always remember its about just that relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Regards

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:32 am

Casting is like anything, to get better at it, you need to practise and practise and then practise some more.

It also helps to have someone to guide you.

Return to “Fishing techniques”