Paternoster rigging variations

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Paternoster rigging variations

Post by Kestrel » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi folks

There's no doubt about the effectiveness of the paternoster rig in certain circumstances.
so, two things you may wish to comment on.

1. Has anyone simply tied on a couple of hooks onto the main line as an alternative to creating the leads out to the side? Easier to do and I'm not sure if there would be a downside.

2. a week or so ago I was talking to a guy who produced an interesting variation on the paternoster which he claims almost eliminates the problem of the dropper line tangling with the main line. Once he creates the dropper (using the dropper loop knot), he threads the dropper through a 3cm piece of very thin gauge, stiff tubing. This made the dropper stand out from the main line very significantly. He claims it doesn't put the fish off and indeed he sometimes uses red tubing as an attractor. And almost eliminates tangles.

Your thoughts
Kestrel

John Dory

Re: Paternoster rigging variations

Post by John Dory » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:11 pm

You can make twisted droppers and they stand out away from the line. Or you can make shorter loops if you’re worried about tangles. I just do overhand knots on dropper loops, works fine.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm

1. Has anyone simply tied on a couple of hooks onto the main line as an alternative to creating the leads out to the side? Easier to do and I'm not sure if there would be a downside.

I do this when I'm targetting leatherjackets, when you need a lot of feel for tiny bites. I tie a hook straight onto my line with a clinch knot with a really long tag end, then tie a small sinker on the end of the tag. It's probably the easiest and simplest rig you could possibly tie.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:50 am

Kestrel wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:49 pm
Hi folks

2. a week or so ago I was talking to a guy who produced an interesting variation on the paternoster which he claims almost eliminates the problem of the dropper line tangling with the main line. Once he creates the dropper (using the dropper loop knot), he threads the dropper through a 3cm piece of very thin gauge, stiff tubing. This made the dropper stand out from the main line very significantly. He claims it doesn't put the fish off and indeed he sometimes uses red tubing as an attractor. And almost eliminates tangles.

Your thoughts
Kestrel
Hi Kestrel

I've tied "slap dash" paternoster rigs by simply tying on a leader line the loop for the swivel, then two "longish" loops spaced apart from each other the distance of the two loops (this is so the two loops never meet/touch each other), then the loop for the sinker.

On the two mid "longish" loops, I thread the loop through the eye of an untied hook and then pass the hook through the loop gap twice. By passing the hook through the loop gap twice, it "locks" it on the hook nicely when pulled tight.

The beauty of this rig is, just loops and no tying of hooks separately. Hooks don't tangle with each other. Great if you get caught with no pre-tied hooks and need to put a paternoster rig together quick.

Cheers, Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:47 pm

I thought I'd put this here , , , , make the search engine work for people :-D

Firstly the "loop", yep, the tying of "the loop"

I double pass my loops, so they better "lock" in rather than pull out to a knot knob :(

One pass through

L1.PNG
L1.PNG (92.91 KiB) Viewed 4647 times

Second pass through

L2.PNG
L2.PNG (101.83 KiB) Viewed 4647 times

Pull tight

L3.PNG
L3.PNG (116.43 KiB) Viewed 4647 times

Presto

L4.PNG
L4.PNG (113.16 KiB) Viewed 4647 times

Like with any Paternoster Rig. One loop at the top for the mainline swivel, then two spaced loops for the pre-tied hooks then a larger loop for the sinker at the bottom.

Cheers, Bugatti, going loopy :o_0:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Now, an easy quick fire "get you out of trouble" Paternoster Rig, especially good when you don't have pre-tied hooks handy.

Ooooow, love you beauties, you gorgeous pre-tied hooks

R1.PNG

Form a loop in the leader line, with the loop length to be the desired hook leader length

R2.PNG
R2.PNG (83.74 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

Ensure, if a glow bead (or two) are going to be used to put the loop through the bead first. Oooow, glow you little glowing bead :-D then the hook

R3.PNG
R3.PNG (96.96 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

Fold the loop back on itself. And then pass the hook through the gap between the inward and outward loop

R4.PNG
R4.PNG (135.85 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

R5.PNG
R5.PNG (142.43 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

Then straighten the line/hook so as they are all in line

R6.PNG
R6.PNG (133.68 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

Pull tight

R7.PNG
R7.PNG (153.37 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

Presto, a hook tied to the rig leader.Repeat for the remaining hook(s) A loop at the top for the swivel AND a loop at the bottom for the sinker, and presto, a Paternoster Rig.

Hey, go you glow bead, still glowing woooohoooo :bn:

R8.PNG

I prefer to use supple (soft) line rather than hard-cased line as my preferred option for leader line, for knot integrity over line abrasive resistance

R9.PNG
R9.PNG (160.36 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

Cheers, Bugatti

ps.
Croe, this is a great little way of tying up short length-ed hook paternoster rigs for bait collecting, saves on knots, extra loops etc and also neater to use when catching bait.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Being mainly a freshie, I don't use the rig that much
I use a 3 way swivel. The tube on the line to the bait is a great idea, I'll use it a Bonnie Doon
I don't like knots in my line unless, I'm using 20lb line for 1lb fish (e.g. flatties)
I was taught that a knot in our line, weakens your line
That's why I use rings or swivels
Please note - I'm a doughnut king (behind Jim :te:)
Gra

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:50 pm

This is what I use at St Leonards for all FUSH
Main line 8lb Mono
Hook leader 2000mm long and Sinker loop 200 mm long 20 lb line
3 way swivel
No1 or 1oz sinker 92608 Mustad No4 SS long Shank Hook

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 pm

denis barden wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:50 pm
This is what I use at St Leonards for all FUSH
Main line 8lb Mono
Hook leader 2000mm long and Sinker loop 200 mm long 20 lb line
3 way swivel
No1 or 1oz sinker 92608 Mustad No4 SS long Shank Hook
A 2m leader is quite long mate. Fair enough to use such a long leader when fushing strong current areas such as WP, but the current at St Leonards isn't all that strong, and I would have thought such a long leader would make it harder to sense bites from whiting. You catch far too many fush not to know what you're doing my friend....What's the reasoning behind such a long leader? It obviously works well for you.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:42 pm

The problem with using 3 way swivels is that’s 3 knots each swivel you can tie a paternoster with no knots When I tie a paternoster I usually tie a knot to make the loop stand away from the main line. In the uk you can buy boom arms the fish don’t care

Return to “Fishing techniques”