Will the angle you hold or keep your rod makes any different

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Will the angle you hold or keep your rod makes any diffe

Post by raco09 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:03 am

Fish-cador wrote:
psara1 wrote:I'm not sure. The misses has never complained. Lol :tongue: :haha2: :lol: :lol: :lol:
are you sure? :lolf: :roflmao:

no pun intended. :haha2: I mean are you sure there was no silent complain when you come home with no fish? :haha2:

How are you doing mate? Ready to fish again? I will hit portsea and sorrento today for some cala and flatties on SP. Dont call Carl, he will scare the cala/fish away. :roflmao:
Not bad mate. I might head to hastings for a drive but thats about it. Have a goodday. Good luck.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
psara1 wrote:I'm not sure. The misses has never complained. Lol :tongue: :haha2: :lol: :lol: :lol:
are you sure? :lolf: :roflmao:

no pun intended. :haha2: I mean are you sure there was no silent complain when you come home with no fish? :haha2:

How are you doing mate? Ready to fish again? I will hit portsea and sorrento today for some cala and flatties on SP. Dont call Carl, he will scare the cala/fish away. :roflmao:

Lol....I`m watching you mate...mod or no mod powers....
Carl..

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:00 am

Like all things in angling life, rod angles may or may not have an influence depending on a number of factors.
It's got a lot to do with geometry.
Obviously the higher the rod angle the greater the effort required from the fish to take line from the reel (all things being equal). It's those "all things being equal" that's the problem - they never are.
The critical factpor herre is the time to reach the point of resistance required to set the hook so the fish can't escape.
Basically this is the time it takes to set the hook.

Let's look at say a 2-4kg rod with 2500 reel, spooled with say 12lb line, with say 1kg of drag, & the rod set horizontal to the water. Now here's one unequal factor - is the fish that takes the bait under the boat or out say 30 meters away?
The fish that's out from the boat wll obviously find it easier to take the bait & run than the fish under the boat, due to the angle at which it's ytaking the line. This means it will take a fraction longer to get to critical pressure to set the hook.
Is it going to be a problem? In practice probably not.

Now increase the rod angle to 45 degrees. Now we find that if we have changed absolutely nothing else, the same fish are going to have to work harder to overcome the bend of the rod before they can pull line from the reel.
That can work for us or against us depending on, again many factors. If we're using circle hooks it could work for us in auto-setting the hooks. If the fish are being finicky & just mouthing the baits, and if we're using say std suicide hooks rather than circles, then we might find that we're missing hook-ups. The fish that's ouyt away from the boat will now reach critical presssure faster in order to set the hook, but the fish in close could likewise exceed that preesure ^& pull the hook that has set. The problem is one of balancing setting the hook against pulling hooks. The softer the rod or the lower the angle of it, the slower it will be to set the hook, but the less chance there is of pulling hooks.

There's so many varying factors to consider that it's virtually impossible to say dfinitively that there is a right & wrong way of doing things. What works one day with some fish may be an abject failure another day with different fish.
The good angler will have a repetoire of techniques in his book of games & will adapt to suit the various conditions.

As someone stated, years ago it was standard practice to set the rod at 45 degrees to the water line.
Now most tend to set it very close to the horizontal. Rods are far more sensitive today though. If you used a rod from say 20 years ago & set it horizontal you'd most likley find that the fish wouldn't achive a decent bend in the rod to auto-set the hooks. That would mean that 'striking' was far more crucial. Lower rod means further to lift the rod to strike, which in turn means an increase in the time it takes to set the hook with the resultant possiblity of loosing the fish before the hook is set.
With today's use of more senstive rods, circle hooks, etc the hook can be well set in a fish's mouth today before the angler can even get to the rod. However, you could be mistaken for thinking that setting the rod higher with todays gear would result in even faster hook setting times - it doesn't. The problem is that when using circle hooks it's entirely possible to try to set them too fast, in which case they will be pulled from the fish's mouth before the hook angle changes which resulkts in their auto-setting feature.

Using todays rods, reels, lines, & terminal tackle it has been found that when boat fishing, setting the rod at just above horizontal, with around 1kg of reel drag, is the most productive method with the majority of fish/circumstances.
That's doesn't necessarilly mean it's always the best technique though, just the one that works best under most circumstances. I have had snapper hit so hard that to trying to set rods in rod holders, combined with setting the rod close to horoizontal was an almost guarateed recipe for a lost rod. On the other hand I've had snapper mouth baits so softly & gently that the only way to ilicit a strike was to hold the rod angled down so there was no rod action acting against the line at all, with the reel free spooling so the fish could take line with virtualloy no resistence at all before manually striking to set the hook.

There really is no right or wrong way, just what works for you with the gear you use & the fish you're catching.
Unfortunately most snapper have never read the theory of angling.

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:41 am

Good post Bartnmax … I agree with you on the geometry part, also the general knowledge part, and the flexibility that the Angler should have in order to get the hook set up the easiest way.
I also agree that it will be different from one angler to another.

tboner

Post by tboner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 pm

I think we all need to remember that fishing is a simple sport/hobbie and only becomes as complicated as we want it to be. Really all we need to worry about is having the freshest bait possible, good quality line/tackle/rod, the right tide and weather/conditions for your targeted fish and some berley. The rest will take care of its self. Really the way we position the rod should come down to having a tight line and making sure it dosent fly into the drink.
My two cents anyway..

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 pm

I think you're right to a degree there tboner.
Fishing can be very simple or as complex as we want to make it.
Sometimes we can tend to over-complicate it ;-)

Personally I tend to set my own rods up at approx 15 degree above the horizontal.
That keeps em outa the water when the boat is riding up/down with a bit of swell.
Also allows the tips to be easilly seen in low light/drak conditions.

One thing it is often worth doing if you do fish a fair bit at night, is putting a touch of lumo paint at the ene of your rod.
Helps enormously I've found.

tboner

Post by tboner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Bartnmax wrote: One thing it is often worth doing if you do fish a fair bit at night, is putting a touch of lumo paint at the ene of your rod.
Helps enormously I've found.
IGA have glow sticks on sale every couple of months. $2 for like 20 of them.

Return to “Fishing techniques”