Metal Slugs Pulley Rig

Targetting a specific fish species? Post your tactics here...
poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Metal Slugs Pulley Rig

Post by poodoo » Thu May 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Since it is coming into salmon season on the back beaches I was having a look to see if there was any way to minimise salmon "spitting" the hooks when they jumped or changed direction. Having already gone down to using singles I found this pulley rig system which they use on the sambos in WA which are much bigger. Interesting concept to try on the back beaches this season.

Here is an illustration of the diagram:
Attachments
mini_Revs-lure-pulley-rig---Australian-Salmon.jpeg
mini_Revs-lure-pulley-rig---Australian-Salmon.jpeg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 1088 times

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Metal Slugs Pulley Rig

Post by Basti » Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 pm

interesting, but does it work better than running the line through the lure tow points and directly to the hook? the lure slides up the line freely and doesn't allow the fish leverage as it falls away. this seems to actively pull the lure away and keep it there but is more complicated (time consuming) to tie up

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri May 15, 2015 5:31 am

Just get a busted tackle 'barrett' slider.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:04 am

You can buy Black Magic "thru jigs" at Anaconda and K-mart, they come in a pack complete with leader and flasher hook
Attachments
thru jig.jpg
thru jig.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 1052 times

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri May 15, 2015 10:23 am

Guys up north use this rig for golden trevally on metal spoons, can't see why it won't work for salmon as well.

Those black magic through jigs swim nicely, i've got a couple and have honestly never caught anything on them.

Busted's Barrets look awesome but i've never used one.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 am

When you guys catch the salmon, do you get many/any that are hooked in the cheek? Or are they always hooked in the mouth? A lot of trout I get, well used to get, are hooked in the cheek. I have seen them also swimming alongside my lure and then smack it with the side of their head.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 am

Both Jim.

If you're using a 40g with the hook attached directly to the lure, it gives the fish a big chance to toss the hook when it jumps. I think 90% of the hookups i dont' land are probably hooked in the cheek and getting tossed as it jumps shaking a 40-50g slug like mad.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri May 15, 2015 11:38 am

Its all about the options I guess and the ability to experiment with different rigs.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri May 15, 2015 11:56 am

I know it is totally different but in one location that I fish for trout (when the planets line up) I am hooking 50 cm + fish with a very strong current pushing them. My loss rate is, well over the last couple years 100%! It has always been a problem and I have done things that worked for a while then seem to...not work! Changed to singles, worked for a while, then lost the odd one or two. But what I did notice when I see the trout 'head butting' the lure, due to the location of the single hook pointing upwards, I would miss these opportunities whereas previously, at least the treble would be in with a chance of hooking up so I could eventually loose it! :-D

My latest idea is to replace trebles with either Owner or Decoy (preferably Decoy). Have had one experience with a good size trout on a lure with Decoys. The trout was unable to 'spit' the hook! The fish just executed 'plan B', it broke the line! :cry: I'm not certain of the quality of the hooks fitted to the lures you use but just wondering if it may be worthwhile trying high quality trebles that may penetrate better. It may produce more hook ups as well if you are missing hits with the singles. Yes trebles are harder to remove from the fish but not if you de-barb them! I dare say you could still have them rigged so the lure can slide up the line when a salmon tries it hardest to launch it!
cheers
Jim
Feel free to ignore me cos I've never caught a salmon :)
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri May 15, 2015 12:18 pm

^ the second most fish i lose in the surf after jumping shaking salmon is hooks pulling when bigger fish go side on to an outgoing wave as i'm trying to land them.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “Fishing techniques”