Spinning for reddies central highlands

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Spinning for reddies central highlands

Post by Sebb » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:49 pm

The term spinning is bedazzling to me.

Does spinning mean to use a spin rod, a motion of rotational movement, using lures commonly hardbodies, or specifically spinner type lures such as Mepps and rooster tails. Or is it simply because we constantly winding/retrieving the reel, therefore spinning, during lure fishing instead of sit and wait while bait fishing.
Where did it come from?

Few days ago I changed the spool on my Daiwa T3 1016 TW baitcast reel to a much lighter spool and bearing. Couple of days ago I gave it a try. Put 8lb braid and paired with Infeet blue rod (casts 1-7g).

Easiest, and probably most boring, to fish for reddies with lures, is to cast and straight away constantly winding (spinning) the reel handle. The feeling on lures get hit while constantly moving and in contact is a greatly enchanced, in comparison to bottom hopping (e.g. with plastic) and get hit while it sits on the bottom like bait.

And believe or not, that in contact feeling, the control over the lure, line control, casting, and the fight, is much more fun on baitcast. I didn't know neither believe it until I tried.

So I did that, casting metal spinner that I found in my tackle box. A red and gold spinner. Either Mepps or Celta, can't remember. Just cast, wind, and bang! And again, and again. When they're on, reddies aren't hard to fool to take lures.

Big or small, fish is a fish.
Attachments
IMG20230225080830_compress38.jpg
IMG20230225082412_compress88.jpg
IMG20230225084608_compress54.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”