Freezing Marysville

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Freezing Marysville

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:04 am

It's cold cold cold
It's snow snow snow
But we fish fish fish

Freezing cold weather ranging from 3-7 degrees, drizzling rain and snow overnight, but clearing. 4% moon.
Barometer 1020 steady slow increase.
Slightly dirty water, fast and high.
6ft3in 3-6lb rod, 2000 reel 6 lb braid 4 lb fluorocarbon leader.
Daiwa D minnow joint, Ecogear mx8 rainbow colour, strike tiger nymph, various spinners, $5 Ali Express floating lure in brown trout colour.

Me and Chris decided to take a day off work and fish.
It's been cold but shocked to see snow this early around Marysville. Had to put on thermals, fleece pants, puff jacket, then wader and waterproof jacket.
Very cold and slow day, high and fast water made it a bit difficult too. My reel is only 4.2:1 ratio I think, often the floating lure was drifting faster than I could wind.
Tried different lures, spinner was okay since it sinks and heavy, good to counter the fast running water. Chris sighted a fish, had a follow and nearly turned into a hookup, but nada.

Being fly fisherman for trouts, I usually cast straight upstream and drift the fly. Different with lures apparently and I struggled a bit.
Finally figured out how to work fast running water in the afternoon by not casting straight upstream, but cast across the river more and vary the retrieve speed depends on the situation, need the lure to have some action and not just dead drifting. Ecogear mx8 was suitable for the day as it suspends and have a slim profile, didn't get drifted too much compared to very buoyant floating lures.

A brown following the lure right to the bank and missed the lure, I stroke and didn't get hooked, the lure went out of the water, thought it was the end. But the trout stayed there, within 1-2 sec i dropped the lure again right in front of this and the fish on it straight away, another miss and the lure was out of the water again (sure it's the end now, it should be spooked by now and scared to death), but no! The fish was looking for the lure! Dropped the lure again and this time bang! Was on!

Two pools ahead and Chris got one brown too on the $5 Ali Express lure.

Based on the colour, these browns didn't look like they're getting ready to spawn. Still very pale colour. They turn bright yellow/orange when they're spawning.
Attachments
rps20190601_062602.jpg
rps20190601_062657.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Freezing Marysville

Post by fishnut » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:16 pm

At least u got out nice fish brrrr

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:22 pm

Nice!!!! The Ali Express 'floating' lure you mentioned....was that a surface lure or diving floating minnow?
Cheers
Jim

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:56 pm

Heres the other fish - very dull colouring on it.
rps20190601_124651.jpg
April fool, it was a barely floating (moreso suspending) minnow lure - ill put a photo up when im home.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Here are the lures jim, i used the top one as i thought it had a bit more of a "spawn-y" colour to it.
rps20190601_154011.jpg

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Apparently we dont need fancy expensive lures to catch trout.
$20 rrp ecogear mx8 vs $5 ali express lure, and both got us fish.

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:47 am

You deserved a good result for that effort. Cheers, muzza43.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:53 pm

Nice work seb, I find you comment on lures interesting. Especially late and early season with high water levels and fish that are a bit less active I find lure choice matters a lot more as well as cast accuracy. Not saying that cheap lures won't catch fish but lures with certain actions certainly outperform the rest when this is the case
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:27 pm

mazman wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:53 pm
Nice work seb, I find you comment on lures interesting. Especially late and early season with high water levels and fish that are a bit less active I find lure choice matters a lot more as well as cast accuracy. Not saying that cheap lures won't catch fish but lures with certain actions certainly outperform the rest when this is the case
Thanks mazman.

Colour, action and accuracy definitely important factors in any conditions I'd say.
Slow clear water provides clarity and time to inspect the lures, this is when I think action, size, colour, etc matter most. But I think it's less in fast dirty'ish water as the fish have little time to make a decision to take or not. All needed is one curious fish to make a quick decision to take any lures.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:27 pm
.........................................................................................
All needed is one curious fish to make a quick decision to take any lures.
Then you need to hold onto the fish! This is where the cost of the lure may come into play! Issues with hooks on cheap lures can be easily solved by upgrading the hooks. I used to fish a lot with a mate. We would both use Rapalas but he bought some cheap minnow lure from BigW I think. Snagged it up on a structure in the channel and in the process of trying to retrieve it...the eye broke out of the lure as opposed to breaking the line! It is worth trying all avenues of lures but you do have to be a bit wary.
cheers
Team Lure Bender

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”