3x western lakes, Krispy Kreme and Dunkin, potato cake, chicken strip and sauce.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: 3x western lakes, Krispy Kreme and Dunkin, potato cake, chicken strip and sauce.

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:04 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:46 pm
do you know what site you bought your rod on sebb?
Digitaka Japan.
There is also Plat.co.jp and JDM Tackle Heaven.
Just google them.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: 3x western lakes, Krispy Kreme and Dunkin, potato cake, chicken strip and sauce.

Post by mazman » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:25 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:03 pm
mazman wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:10 am
Sebb wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:52 am
mazman wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:45 pm
I'm guessing they must be pretty slow so they load up under their own weight almost to allow you to cast light lures rather than relying on the length of the rod and a light tip that loads up when the lure is moving quick during the casting action
Spot on.

Sometimes we go to even thicker and tighter places too btw, it's when a short rod makes a diff because we can do underhand flick cast easily. Depends how tall you are to get away with longer rod.

Came across this video ages ago about underhand cast.

Casting 3-5g is relatively easy on any bfs rods, but when it comes to 2g and less, slow rod like a glass rod makes a diff. And ofc a super smooth and light spool bfs reel too.

Few American videos on YouTube about it that really drill down the details. HobiewanKenobi and RaWr fishing are some of the good ones to research as they are really technical about bfs.

There's even videos casting a bead headed nymph like this one. It's less than 1g.

That's how I started my interests in bfs and how I fish.
Are you planning getting few BFS gears?
You know your fishing Alex, go try few diff ones to find what suits you.
I already have a couple of bfs outfits seb, went down a different path to you. I always thought about getting one of those crazy light rods for small streams but could never justify it since my current outfit did the job already and I couldn't see myself doing it regularly with the direction my fishing was going. Couldn't find where the photos are saved but here's a shot of one of my outfits on the stream on instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ2x8R-lHUJ/

ps. I hope you got the hg or xg version. I tried with one of the low gear ratio reels I got for bream and found I was winding in slack in the fast streams
Yeah I got the high gear SLX BFS for the very same reason, to wind fast in fadt streams.

What's that rod in that insta photo?
Alphas Air is good, I was close to buy alphas air sv tw, then I found out about those new bfs reels with drag clicker.
I was gonna get a gekka bfs too, but decided SLX BFS. It's similar to curado bfs and scorpion bfs. Just need to replace the spool with Roro or Avail, and ceramic bearings. Be superb to cast 2g and less.

And yes, if you're not doing enough of this type of fishing, it's hard to justify to get. It's fair bit of $$ too.
Its a Majorcraft volkey 692xul/bfs, the volkey line has been discontinued for a few years so they are pretty hard to find these days. My other outfit is a heavier version of this that I found to be a great bass and ep outift. I was really close to buying a longer lighter outfit for bream out in gippsland but never quite got there.

The alphas airs are a great reel but these days there is plenty of other options out there and some that are more suited to pushing into that sub 2g category but when I got them there wasn't a huge market for this sort of stuff.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:17 pm

mazman wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:25 pm
Sebb wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:03 pm
mazman wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:10 am
Sebb wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:52 am
mazman wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:45 pm
I'm guessing they must be pretty slow so they load up under their own weight almost to allow you to cast light lures rather than relying on the length of the rod and a light tip that loads up when the lure is moving quick during the casting action
Spot on.

Sometimes we go to even thicker and tighter places too btw, it's when a short rod makes a diff because we can do underhand flick cast easily. Depends how tall you are to get away with longer rod.

Came across this video ages ago about underhand cast.

Casting 3-5g is relatively easy on any bfs rods, but when it comes to 2g and less, slow rod like a glass rod makes a diff. And ofc a super smooth and light spool bfs reel too.

Few American videos on YouTube about it that really drill down the details. HobiewanKenobi and RaWr fishing are some of the good ones to research as they are really technical about bfs.

There's even videos casting a bead headed nymph like this one. It's less than 1g.

That's how I started my interests in bfs and how I fish.
Are you planning getting few BFS gears?
You know your fishing Alex, go try few diff ones to find what suits you.
I already have a couple of bfs outfits seb, went down a different path to you. I always thought about getting one of those crazy light rods for small streams but could never justify it since my current outfit did the job already and I couldn't see myself doing it regularly with the direction my fishing was going. Couldn't find where the photos are saved but here's a shot of one of my outfits on the stream on instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ2x8R-lHUJ/

ps. I hope you got the hg or xg version. I tried with one of the low gear ratio reels I got for bream and found I was winding in slack in the fast streams
Yeah I got the high gear SLX BFS for the very same reason, to wind fast in fadt streams.

What's that rod in that insta photo?
Alphas Air is good, I was close to buy alphas air sv tw, then I found out about those new bfs reels with drag clicker.
I was gonna get a gekka bfs too, but decided SLX BFS. It's similar to curado bfs and scorpion bfs. Just need to replace the spool with Roro or Avail, and ceramic bearings. Be superb to cast 2g and less.

And yes, if you're not doing enough of this type of fishing, it's hard to justify to get. It's fair bit of $$ too.
Its a Majorcraft volkey 692xul/bfs, the volkey line has been discontinued for a few years so they are pretty hard to find these days. My other outfit is a heavier version of this that I found to be a great bass and ep outift. I was really close to buying a longer lighter outfit for bream out in gippsland but never quite got there.

The alphas airs are a great reel but these days there is plenty of other options out there and some that are more suited to pushing into that sub 2g category but when I got them there wasn't a huge market for this sort of stuff.
Yeah you were ahead of its time for bfs. Definitely growing at the moment.

I've been thinking of getting another bfs for bass and ep too. That finetail I have is too light for bass and ep.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”