First flathead!

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
kabo

First flathead!

Post by kabo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi all,

So after a long and sunny afternoon catching nothing at all at Brighton break wall and Sandringham yacht club, I thought I would fit in one more go at Lagoon pier around dusk (after a fortifying cuppa at the grandparents :) ). And lo and behold, after a short while - the bait had barely landed in the water- chomp! And much to my surprise I pulled out a 31 cm flathead! Not enormous, but big enough :) a couple of Lagoon pier regulars were cheering me on and were all-round helpful. Glad I stopped on more time!

Cheers
Kabo
Attachments
image.jpg

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: First flathead!

Post by bowl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:07 pm

:banana: :banana: :banana: :woohoo:
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Well done Kabo looks like lagoon is the pick of the bunch for you lately
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:39 pm

WD mate . No offence to you or you catching a flatty , but gee times have changed !.
Years and years ago, all ppb was full of pretty much just flatties, you could catch nothing but flatties one after another non stop, yet pinkies and snapper were rare. Yet now days flatties are more rare , and pinkies galore and a lot more better size snapper and other good catches of fish available.
I still like a feed of flattie though , they are one of the best saltwater eating/tasting fish imo .

I caught thousands of them over the years, years ago, and was sick of catching just flatties. But now days I'm happy to even get a few if lucky, as they are a good eating, and no where near as many around as years and years ago in ppb .

Good stuff with your first Lizard ;) . Nothing like some flattie tail fillets in bread crumbs , deep fried , and served with tartare sauce.... yum :dinner:

Cheer , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

spudtrans
Has liked: 31 times

Post by spudtrans » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:40 am

well done nice flatty, good eating fish,

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:53 am

Good work, Enjoy it!
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:16 am

rixter wrote:WD mate . No offence to you or you catching a flatty , but gee times have changed !.
Years and years ago, all ppb was full of pretty much just flatties, you could catch nothing but flatties one after another non stop, yet pinkies and snapper were rare. Yet now days flatties are more rare , and pinkies galore and a lot more better size snapper and other good catches of fish available.
I still like a feed of flattie though , they are one of the best saltwater eating/tasting fish imo .

I caught thousands of them over the years, years ago, and was sick of catching just flatties. But now days I'm happy to even get a few if lucky, as they are a good eating, and no where near as many around as years and years ago in ppb .

Good stuff with your first Lizard ;) . Nothing like some flattie tail fillets in bread crumbs , deep fried , and served with tartare sauce.... yum :dinner:

Cheer , Rick.
Maybe that's why flathead fillets are worth $50+ A kilo these days not as common as the old days
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:17 am

Good post and nice fish. Love flatty, persistence paid dividends, well done.
Tight lines = Good Times!

biggar

Post by biggar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:40 am

Congrats mate! Took me a while to catch my first flathead too mate
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

kozy

Post by kozy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:54 am

congrats with the flatty, great eating
just watch out for those damn spikes
Gone :snap: