Flathead spearing

Flathead, common catch that tastes great!
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Flathead spearing

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:39 pm

After a big morning chasing flathead out on the kayak what better way to wind down than chasing more flathead. Still trying to get the illusive 45cm+ flathead so I thought I’d head down the beach for another try. The conditions were absolutely perfect-flat calm and crystal clear. I started wading, scanning around, looking for anything worth spearing, there were heaps of banjo’s, stingrays and toadfish but nothing worth pursuing. After almost 2 hours of seeing absolutely nothing to spear, and with the wind now getting up I started heading back. Waves were crashing on the shore and visibility was now terrible with sand being disturbed and discolouring the water. So with absolutely no hope I walked back not even shin deep. Just as I was nearing the exit point at about 2am I actually see a flathead! It’s not even a metre from the shore. I try to line up my spear with it but the waves are making it hard to stay still, eventually I just thrust the spear down. Success! In the dying minutes of the session I managed to spear a flathead and not a bad size one at 37cm. To me there’s nothing more satisfying than achieving what you set out to do, now thrilled I thought I may as well have a quick look for another five minutes just in case there was anything else. Lo and behold a bigger flathead appears in the light, however this one isn’t too keen on being speared so it moves steadily away from me into deeper water. I keep chasing it until I’m waste deep when it stops momentarily. I take my shot and my spear connects, a very fat 42cm flathead to add to the tally! Now I decide that’s it well and truly time to head back for some much needed sleep. A quick analysis from the conditions: I believe the rougher weather prompted the flathead to come in close, enabling them to hunt disorientated garfish and mullet, definitely worth noting. Anyway I’m still stoked about managing to get a few, especially after some donut spearing sessions recently. If you’ve got a spear and a head torch I’d definitely recommend giving it a go, it’s possibly the most exciting and primitive way to get a feed. Hope this helps or encourages anyone thinking of giving it a go.
Cheers.
Attachments
B6A3ABE3-FD96-45CA-95CA-550C1B929BF6.jpeg

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Flathead spearing

Post by croe04 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Hey Irish, nice write up! sounds like you had fun mate.
I had a couple questions, when you're out spearing how deep do you typically wade and what time of day and tide do you find is the most conducive for a good session?

cheers

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:21 pm

Great stuff again Irish, if you keep eating this much Flathead then you might turn into one. Can you put a pic up of your spear please?

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:08 pm

croe04 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:18 pm
Hey Irish, nice write up! sounds like you had fun mate.
I had a couple questions, when you're out spearing how deep do you typically wade and what time of day and tide do you find is the most conducive for a good session?

cheers
Cheers mate. I’m usually wading from ankle to waste deep, on this particular session both fish were found in no more than 30cm of water. In previous sessions I’ve got them in far deeper water so there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern there. I often like to go just as the water has cleared after storms when there’s weed and mussels that have washed in, that wasn’t the case last night however. Additionally, as long as it’s completely dark the fish shouldn’t be too spooked, I wouldn’t even bother trying if the sun was still up. As for tides I generally prefer a low spring tide when I can access the softer sand out further, this is where I’ll usually get the flounder. Last night I arrived at the top of the high tide and waded for the first 2hours of the ebb. To be honest I’ve had success or at least opportunities in almost any conditions. When it’s rough and murky it will be hard, but you can still get garfish. Hope this helps mate, the best way to learn is to get out there!

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:13 pm

Troy McLure wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:21 pm
Great stuff again Irish, if you keep eating this much Flathead then you might turn into one. Can you put a pic up of your spear please?
Can’t get sick of flathead mate, cooked up 15 in panko crumbs last night for the family, went down a treat. The spear couldn’t be less fancy it’s about 2m in length and I got it at Kmart five years ago for $15, if you’re going to get one yourself and it has more than 2 prongs make sure it has a sling, once it has a sling it’s classified as a “spear gun” otherwise it can only have 2.
Attachments
EEC2007E-AB10-4415-9016-9BC385455522.jpeg

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:38 pm

Ok, thanks. Might look into this, sounds like a bit of fun.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:18 pm

Sounds like you've had an awesome session and managed a nice feed of flathead, well done!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:56 pm

Spearing flatties and flounders in shallow water is a lot of fun 😃
I’ve been meaning to get into it again after along time.
We used to have some awesome catches.
You got a couple of nice ones there. Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:41 pm

Thanks guys, it’s probably one of my favourite ways to get a feed. Went out again the other night and did alright, managed a good sized flounder.
Attachments
BE819BD9-17F1-4233-89E6-BEC496A4697A.jpeg

junior
Has liked: 58 times

Post by junior » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:50 pm

Nice haul and sounds like fun.
How bright is the head lamp?
Reckon the east side of the bay is with a crack? (Brighton down to chelsea for example)

Return to “Flathead fishing”