You don't know what you don't know

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

You don't know what you don't know

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun May 19, 2019 11:56 am

Fishing, and it doesn't matter what type of fishing, is mostly a matter of trial and error unless you are fortunate to have a mentor who is willing to teach you what they know.

Lately, on the Tuna, I have not been having much luck. One error I made on reflection was at Cape Bridgewater we sounded a mark at about 40 metres when we were in 60 metres of water. We had a boat kind of following roughly the same line as us about a kilometre or a bit more behind.

Thinking that if the mark was that far down, it was pointless trolling around hoping it might just come up, so we continued on our way. I noticed that the boat that had been following roughly the same path as us, stopped and stayed in the same area for quite some time until I lost sight of them. If they hooked up is a matter of conjecture.

I have since learnt that I should have stayed in the general area, and worked it for a while. I did not have any teasers out.

I also have learnt that I have been running my teasers too short and that they should be much closer to the closest lures.

The hardest part is getting the deckie on board to practise what I am learning, hopefully the weather gods are smiling next week, so we can work around the rip.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: You don't know what you don't know

Post by canned_tuna » Sun May 19, 2019 2:16 pm

At that depth the tuna will come up and have a looksy just from the bubble trail of the motor (If the area hasn't been bombarded with boat traffic all day) Yes you should have stayed in the area but hey, now you know and im sure you will do better next time.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm

When I started lure fishing. Everything I learnt came from.forums. like fish vic.. bream master And few others that I cant remeber now.
All you had to go by is what people said.

These days everything is on YouTube and the various Facebook pages and the like.

Having someone to show you the ropes in real time makes a big difference. I wish I had the luxury that my cousins are enjoying these days. Everything is given to them on a silver platter..I would have killed for an opportunity like that.

Much appreciation for the ones who have taken me onboard and showed me some hands on skills that I will always remember..

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Fishing is a life journey a rollercoaster life the failures make the success much sweeter keep at it Wolly.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun May 19, 2019 7:46 pm

If the tuna are deep I would pull my witchdoctor and my dredge on the downrigger if the tuna are up high I would pull my squid teasers birds etc and the dredge shallow.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Agree witchdoctie is brilliant when they are deep.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun May 19, 2019 8:09 pm

I learn't more from this guy at one of his seminars in the 90's when I was fishing the comps on the South coast of NSW than anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyfSlY ... CRU5tKFYKQ
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Game Fishing”