Monster Ting

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
denis barden

Monster Ting

Post by denis barden » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:26 pm

Took this pic a few days ago it was on the wall of a Fish and Chip Shop in Ceduna SA 1.7kg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Monster Ting

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:38 pm

Wow! :o_0:

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:09 pm

Holly Goergey. It's bigger than my PB snapper. Lol.
How long is that fish you reckon? 60cm?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:22 pm

That’s a monster. I’ll be out that way in October (at least to smoky bay anyway). Looking forward to fishing at perlubie beach in the yak. Do you have any stand out areas to look at? Doesn’t have to be fishing related.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:30 pm

Kidney Slapper
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:47 pm

Read years ago about Marion Bay in SA where 2kg tings were not uncommon

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:55 am

I remember years ago walking along robe pier in SA and saw a girl holding a monster kgw. It was massive looked around 60 cm.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:56 pm

I saw a Huge Kgw on the Port Campbell pier, at first I thought it was a couta, till I had a closer look ! would have been well over 50 cm ..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:09 pm

Reckon those SA Tings are diff to VIC tings?
I remember something about diff migration group. And the western tings all the way from south to nw of WA are diff tings, and they're crossed with bonefish or something.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:42 pm

Sebb wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:09 pm
Reckon those SA Tings are diff to VIC tings?
I remember something about diff migration group. And the western tings all the way from south to nw of WA are diff tings, and they're crossed with bonefish or something.
I think you will find they're all the same right across the coastline from WA to Victoria and into NSW Sebb.. Many years ago (70's & 80's) when I lived and fished in Sth Aust I did quite a lot of fishing in and around Ceduna, Elliston, Coffin Bay and many other areas on Eyre Peninsular. Local fisher quite often caught KGW up to 6lb well of the Coast, I remember talking to a pro Fisher one day at Elliston who had around 30 whiting in his boat that were all in the 5-6lb range, even though they were KGW he called them black Whiting because of the size and very dark black back on them, he also said the flesh was very course, smaller KG whiting were the best to eat. These whiting he had in the boat were caught in and around Flinders Island which is well of the coast from Elliston.

The King George whiting is endemic to Southern Australia, ranging lower Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria and occasionally even lower New South Wales. The westernmost reported capture was in Jurien Bay and the furthest east King George whiting have been reported from is Botany Bay in New South Wales (although this appears to be a rare occurrence).[4] King George whiting are most commonly found in tidal bays, estuaries and creeks along the coast of the mainland and numerous islands scattered throughout the species’ range. There is a distinct difference in habitat between the adult and juvenile fish, with the juveniles more inclined to inhabit shallower waters in protected bays, creeks and estuaries.[7] A favourite habitat of young fish appears to be Zostera and Posidonia seagrass beds in protected bays, apparently using the seagrass as protection and for foraging purposes.[8] Juveniles tend to form schools of varying sizes, occasionally schooling with other species, including other members of the family Sillaginidae.[6] Adults tend to be solitary and found in deeper water in a range of habitats including bays, offshore surf gutters, broken bottom and deep reef, also venturing into shallower water on occasion.

you can find more on the KGW on the following sites, the bottom site has one very large whiting in it too..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_George_whiting

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/th ... kg-whiting

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”