Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Eek!! Would you have left that rod?

Post by Kimtown » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:05 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 am
Kimtown wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:22 am
Am I the only one who's a bit surprised that he couldn't swim back to his boat...?

It's possible, but unlikely that his boat was anchored in 60m of water, if there was any current - which would be little if anything - he and his boat would both be drifting at somewhat similar speeds, how could he not swim back to it? What am I missing...?
The boat would be affected by the wind whereas a swimmer wouldn’t.

He would have jumped out in fairly shallow water too, you wouldn’t be able to reach the rod in more than 10m or so.
I forgot to factor in wind, you'd think (hope) it would be a pretty calm day being offshore there... but maybe there was a strong breeze that was pushing his boat further away from him.

I figured he jumped in as it immediately hit the water and tried to grab it before it sank, not dropped it then decided to go diving for it. If that were the case, you'd surely anchor and throw some fins/mask on if you had them. There's no way you can dive down 10m looking for a rod without that crap.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:42 pm

I reckon I’d be exploring all options with a bean sinker and large treble before going for a swim. What a wobble head

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:03 pm

It was blowing 25-35knts here at lakes that day. May have still been NW up there so maybe a bit calmer. No way can you swim to catch a Tinny in the wind. 2knts is a common drift speed in about 15knts wind. The blokes a dill. If you have an expensive rod put a bungy and clip on it or put it in a good rod holder.
Fish alone have a PLB around your neck. It will save your life.....
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ango

Post by ango » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:35 pm

Been there, watched the outfit slowly sink into the ocean, got another outfit that was handy and had a metal sliced rigged on it, had a few casts with no luck, It was in 30 m deep and as far as I know it's still there. Certainly not worth jumping in, even though I am an excellent swimmer.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”