Anyone pre-rig their Soft plastics?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Anyone pre-rig their Soft plastics?

Post by Kestrel » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi guys
I was doing Ok with some SPs off Black Rock during the week but found rigging them properly a bit challenging when the wind got up and the bay turned pretty lumpy! In fact I ended up rigging my thumb rather than the plastics a few times!
Does anyone here pre-rig their SPs before they go out? Are there any downsides? I'm thinking it would save time and the hassle of doing that when out on the water.
Any views on this?
Cheers
Kestrel

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Re: Anyone pre-rig their Soft plastics?

Post by Sebb » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:31 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:03 pm
Hi guys
I was doing Ok with some SPs off Black Rock during the week but found rigging them properly a bit challenging when the wind got up and the bay turned pretty lumpy! In fact I ended up rigging my thumb rather than the plastics a few times!
Does anyone here pre-rig their SPs before they go out? Are there any downsides? I'm thinking it would save time and the hassle of doing that when out on the water.
Any views on this?
Cheers
Kestrel
I personally like to judge the condition before deciding what to use. Eg. What plastic to use, how heavy the jig head to use and the hook size etc. So I generally don't pre-rig.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:48 pm

I pre-rig mine and a lot of people do too. Upside is you can put a dab of glue on the top to keep the SP from sliding down the hook. Downside is storage, certain SPs will melt if it touches plastic (zmans) and gulp dries out. I wrap my pre-rigged SPs in a bit of kitchen paper towel.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:49 pm

i personally do, but not with gulps.
most other plastics i will prerig if i have time and store in a tackle box ready to go.
as already mentioned above, gulps will dry out if left in the open for too long, specially in summer so i wouldn't recommend pre rigging them.
zmans (and to a certain extent the Daiwa Bait junkies) will melt if left for too long in plastics tackleboxes and will also change shape, so i wouldnt recommend doing it to them either.

Only pre rig if you will use them asap, or to save some time on the water.
i pre rig multiple colours and sizes, this might not be feasible for most people, but i fish lures almost 100% of the time so for me its not a big deal.

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:50 am

Thanks guys!
Any other opinions?
Kestrel

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:10 am

For my bait rigs i do tend to make up rigs and store them in zip lock bags. Mainly because tying multiple knots etc can get annoying on the boat and it usually means accessing multiple tackle trays or sections of my tackle bag/box. But more importantly if i lose one i want to be able to re-rig and get it back in the water ASAP. Im guessing most people are the same.

For soft plastics though i dont really see the need. It only takes a few seconds to thread on a new plastic, so unless i have lost the whole rig, leader and all, then its a quick job to get back in the game.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:49 am

I often keep one or two pre-jigged in my EGI bag, always great being able to swap from a squid jig to a soft plastic if I spot a flatty, trev or other species.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:57 am

i rig to condition, allows me to also chose color and style and well as mentioned zmans can melt if they come in contact with other plastics and even the tackle box if its not got the zman ok sticker on it and will deform outside of their tray with some models.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”