Eating stingray.....

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Eating stingray.....

Post by Irishfisherman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Managed a short 1 hour spearing session last night in between revising for my year 10 exams, it was a very exciting, I saw a squid which darted away before I had a chance to spear and a whiting which was even more skittish. I managed to take home a 26cm flounder, (my smallest yet), 2 good size garfish and I finally harvested a small stingray after hesitating for the last few sessions. I purposefully speared the stingray right before going home so it would be as fresh as possible, killing it was not as easy as I had planned.... I got it home quickly and cut the meat out of the wings. I’ve never filleted anything like it before, very weird and sinewy, with segmented tissue. To keep it simple and to enable me to get an accurate gage for its taste, I simply rolled it in flour and fried. Turned out great, very mild, if any taste- no ammonia like after flavour. Not chewy but firm, all round a really pleasant fish to eat. The only issue for me is that you don’t get a heap of meat given the size, this one was about 7lbs and I’ll probably get a few meals out of it, but compared to a normal fish of an equivalent size it really doesn’t give up much to eat. I would definitely take one again, probably not for a while but it was definitely worthwhile taking. Please excuse the photo.
Attachments
B17CAB41-B279-4104-AEFE-9753CD1B2396.jpeg

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Re: Eating stingray.....

Post by Troy McLure » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:25 pm

Impressive. You’re in year 10 you say? My boy is too, I’d be happy if he can butter his toast properly.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:53 pm

7LB is too small to get a decent feed, get a heavy duty spear and get yourself one about 1/2 a meter or a little larger across the back, ( Very strong ! ) I've gotten plenty of meat off this size, be aware once you spear them this size you need a large floating vessel, I use a 5 foot blow up boat I pull behind me with a large plastic drum in it, handy to carry drinks , food , clothing for all nighters, also at that size watch the stinger ! once I dispatch the beast I remove it before putting it in the drum. I fillet differently to you, I cut the flap off completely and fillet the flap as I would a fish side on, much easier than the way your doing it, hope this helps.

( This size is perfect eating size the picture was taken way before the new laws of not catching rays from piers was introduced )
Attachments
Image002.jpg
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:12 am

Wow Irish fisherman I’m year nine but I’m doing head start so technically I’m year ten and you can still go night fishing on a school day I’m jealous

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:18 am

e.welch wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:12 am
Wow Irish fisherman I’m year nine but I’m doing head start so technically I’m year ten and you can still go night fishing on a school day I’m jealous
Yeah mate, I'm very lucky that my parents allow me to do quite a lot, they've given me lots of independence and that has enabled me to mature actually. I do well in school, which has reassured them that I'm capable of taking responsibility for myself. They also understand that these trips mean a lot, and I'll look back on them fondly for the rest of my life.

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:22 am

Irishfisherman wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:18 am
e.welch wrote:
Yeah mate, I'm very lucky that my parents allow me to do quite a lot, they've given me lots of independence and that has enabled me to mature actually. I do well in school, which has reassured them that I'm capable of taking responsibility for myself. They also understand that these trips mean a lot, and I'll look back on them fondly for the rest of my life.
My mum understands that as well but the creepy people around Frankston and me living now where near the beach doesn’t help

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:23 am

hornet wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:53 pm
7LB is too small to get a decent feed, get a heavy duty spear and get yourself one about 1/2 a meter or a little larger across the back, ( Very strong ! ) I've gotten plenty of meat off this size, be aware once you spear them this size you need a large floating vessel, I use a 5 foot blow up boat I pull behind me with a large plastic drum in it, handy to carry drinks , food , clothing for all nighters, also at that size watch the stinger ! once I dispatch the beast I remove it before putting it in the drum. I fillet differently to you, I cut the flap off completely and fillet the flap as I would a fish side on, much easier than the way your doing it, hope this helps.

( This size is perfect eating size the picture was taken way before the new laws of not catching rays from piers was introduced )
Wow! Thanks for all the effort you've put into this response, I'll try and get a larger one next time. I can definitely see why I would need a heavy duty spear, even the stingray I got was extremely tough and didn't forfeit without a battle. I'll also definitely cut the flaps off like you said, I was struggling doing it my way, quite finicky, and took a while. Thanks again.

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:31 am

e.welch wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:22 am
Irishfisherman wrote:
e.welch wrote:
My mum understands that as well but the creepy people around Frankston and me living now where near the beach doesn’t help
Thats very true mate, Im very lucky that I've grown to 6'2 and do kickboxing and jiujitsu so I would at least like to think that I can handle myself, additionally I've generally got a spear in my hand which helps. But I don't think anyone is a match for a crackhead those guys are unstoppable, lol. But yeah, in life there is always going to be risks associated with the things you do, and my parents understand that. Every time you get in the car there is a chance you come out a mangled wreck, if you try to avoid everything that's dangerous, life isn't going to be much fun. Understandably, it's not your decision its your parents, but that's my take on it.

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:38 am

Irishfisherman wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:31 am
e.welch wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:22 am
Irishfisherman wrote:
e.welch wrote:
Thats very true mate, Im very lucky that I've grown to 6'2 and do kickboxing and jiujitsu so I would at least like to think that I can handle myself, additionally I've generally got a spear in my hand which helps. But I don't think anyone is a match for a crackhead those guys are unstoppable, lol. But yeah, in life there is always going to be risks associated with the things you do, and my parents understand that. Every time you get in the car there is a chance you come out a mangled wreck, if you try to avoid everything that's dangerous, life isn't going to be much fun. Understandably, it's not your decision its your parents, but that's my take on it.
Yeah mine to but mums just doesn’t want me down their without a adult I do karate but I’m not willing to try my luck against someone on crack

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:55 am

Good stuff :tu:
I remember when I went to Singapore, they had specialty dish called grilled stingray. Famous Singaporean dish apparently.
So I thought of taking home stingray, but after watching videos on how to prep it, it's exactly what you said, fair effort only to get tiny bit of the edible flesh (compared to it's whole body).
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”