Stingrays?

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Stingrays?

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:12 pm

Just a question, I go spearing in the shallows pretty frequently and I almost always encounter at least 10 stingrays. I am all about trying new things, and Ive never eaten stingray so I was just wondering if it would be worth taking one for a feed. I've heard they taste good but Im not sure if its worth sacrificing one if there is only a small amount of meat. Ultimately, I would just like to know how they taste and whether it's a justified harvest from a moral perspective.
Cheers.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: Stingrays?

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:39 pm

Irishfisherman wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:12 pm
Just a question, I go spearing in the shallows pretty frequently and I almost always encounter at least 10 stingrays. I am all about trying new things, and Ive never eaten stingray so I was just wondering if it would be worth taking one for a feed. I've heard they taste good but Im not sure if its worth sacrificing one if there is only a small amount of meat. Ultimately, I would just like to know how they taste and whether it's a justified harvest from a moral perspective.
Cheers.
I've tried stingray and it was pretty good, plenty of Youtube videos about eating them

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Eagle rays are the best to do it with due to their diamond shape. Take off both wings leaving the gut cavity, head and the upper body for the bin. Skinning them is a bit of a pain inn the arse due to the shape and needing to do both sides of the wing but it's not all to much different to shark flake

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:00 pm

I've had skate, it's pretty similar to flake but the texture is a bit different due to the grain of the meat
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Might be worth a try then, thanks for the replies. I’ll definitely consider taking one next time I’m out, what size would be best?

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:39 am

Just look out for the tail barb

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:18 am

you cannot take sharks, rays or banjoes within 400m of any pier, jetty, wharf, rockwall or breakwater.
so make sure your not in a no take zone before you spear one.

also the bigger rays are know to have higher than allowed lead content in their flesh, so perhaps pick one of the smaller ones if anything.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”