denis barden

Re: Monster Ting

Post by denis barden » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:16 pm

Adrian Good info thanks

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:47 pm

Some big Tings in vic if you know where to go…
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Over the past five years KGW have appeared across Northern Tasmania and sizes are very nice fish up to 60 cms have been caught.
Below is a couple of photos of KGW that were caught in the Tamar River in Northern Tasmania, St Hellen's on the Nth East Coast also fishes well for them too. There is a bag limit of 5 fish per day.

cheers
Adrian
Tamat River KGW (1).jpg
Tamar River KGW.jpg
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:51 pm

meppstas wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:42 pm
Sebb wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:09 pm
Reckon those SA Tings are diff to VIC tings?
I remember something about diff migration group. And the western tings all the way from south to nw of WA are diff tings, and they're crossed with bonefish or something.
I think you will find they're all the same right across the coastline from WA to Victoria and into NSW Sebb.. Many years ago (70's & 80's) when I lived and fished in Sth Aust I did quite a lot of fishing in and around Ceduna, Elliston, Coffin Bay and many other areas on Eyre Peninsular. Local fisher quite often caught KGW up to 6lb well of the Coast, I remember talking to a pro Fisher one day at Elliston who had around 30 whiting in his boat that were all in the 5-6lb range, even though they were KGW he called them black Whiting because of the size and very dark black back on them, he also said the flesh was very course, smaller KG whiting were the best to eat. These whiting he had in the boat were caught in and around Flinders Island which is well of the coast from Elliston.

The King George whiting is endemic to Southern Australia, ranging lower Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria and occasionally even lower New South Wales. The westernmost reported capture was in Jurien Bay and the furthest east King George whiting have been reported from is Botany Bay in New South Wales (although this appears to be a rare occurrence).[4] King George whiting are most commonly found in tidal bays, estuaries and creeks along the coast of the mainland and numerous islands scattered throughout the species’ range. There is a distinct difference in habitat between the adult and juvenile fish, with the juveniles more inclined to inhabit shallower waters in protected bays, creeks and estuaries.[7] A favourite habitat of young fish appears to be Zostera and Posidonia seagrass beds in protected bays, apparently using the seagrass as protection and for foraging purposes.[8] Juveniles tend to form schools of varying sizes, occasionally schooling with other species, including other members of the family Sillaginidae.[6] Adults tend to be solitary and found in deeper water in a range of habitats including bays, offshore surf gutters, broken bottom and deep reef, also venturing into shallower water on occasion.

you can find more on the KGW on the following sites, the bottom site has one very large whiting in it too..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_George_whiting

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/th ... kg-whiting

cheers
Adrian
Thanks Adrian, good read to add knowledge.
That would've been a great time to fish. When the fish were big and prolific.
That second link showing 3.1kg 90cm whiting is unbelievable. The photo proves it that they once exist.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:52 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:47 pm
They're hiding from Dennis
😁
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:16 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:52 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:47 pm
They're hiding from Dennis
😁
They won’t be in PPB
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:47 pm

The prom and surrounds or Portland is where I'd be looking for the bigger models.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:26 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:47 pm
The prom and surrounds or Portland is where I'd be looking for the bigger models.
Don't need to go that far. Much like the tuna, xos whiting are within reach of metro ramps if you know where posidonia beds are lurking and put in a lot of time. Schools are small and don't seem to hang around the same area for long like the smaller models do in the bays

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:35 pm

Thats good to know then, not that it matters much to me cause I can't catch them for **** even if they were freely available in the bay. Will have to make a half decent effort this time and see if I can catch a few, but my stubbornness of using lures to catch them will always be my downfall.
Cheers

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:09 am

The prom is good but there are plenty of other locations.

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”