PPB finding arches

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: PPB finding arches

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:33 am

Those are good readings of snapper. Good work seb. Some nice fish there.

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:45 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:32 pm
120 deg is huge, 25 deg is normal for salt water with upto 60 deg.

That will show massive arches.

I sound for them in PPB I wouldn't stop to fish unless I found a school of snapper with my sounder in November.
That's what i was thinking however i'm wondering if it was just bull advertising as if been over seals before n it seems to read the size fairly accurately.

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:47 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:28 am
Transducer placement is imperative if you want to see good marks on the sounder.
Make sure you have yours set-up right.
Post and pic of how its set-up and someone her should be able to help you.
Apart from that keep sounding on known marks to see if you can spot fish.
The fish are a bit dead atm but pinkies are plenty, they will show up as small squiggly lines depending on your sounder settings.
Yeah i was wondering if most people are finding this season to be producing pretty few larger fish. i'm sure i'll get onto them soon

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:50 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:17 pm
I understand your keen to get into some snapper.
May I suggest you do a search on this forum first and have a good read of previous posts many of us have made regarding sounding for snapper . This will give you a good idea for somewhere to start.
Its not easy when your starting out, but if you keep perceivering you will eventually start to sound them, and also catch them.

No matter how expensive your sounder is, you will not sound fish unless your transducer is setup properly and settings are dialled in and you actually know how to read what's on your screen.

There are subscription based sites that will get you started with some info if you want to go down that way, rember these aRe just guides and theres no gurantee of fish, Theres also sounder setup and tuitions from few people who will get it up and running for you. These all cost money ofcourse..
That's just my issue. I've done all the reading and all the watching and all the listening i can just about do. I've almost gone too far simply because of the sheer amount of conflicting information i've attained. I think i'm getting the hang of the sounding after going out recently and im confident my transducers placed well although the next time i go out i plan on sending a photo of a few marks and my transducer placement to the thread. I think now it's a matter of getting them to go with the right conditions.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:05 pm

Yeah send us some pics back and see if we can do something about it to help you.

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:01 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:05 pm
Yeah send us some pics back and see if we can do something about it to help you.
Forgot to take any photos but went out again this morning. 3:30 am start followed by 2.5 hrs of sounding around and battling noise on the shitty sounder. Perfect conditions assuming i have any idea what i'm talking about, light southerly breeze with tide running in the same direction as the tide rising barometer at 1020 and a beautifully aligned high tide at 7:00 for the dawn bite window. After nothing on the sounder all morning and mucking around with the settings i started to lose hope since my bite window was approaching and then boom. A nice arch hard on the bottom that read about 1m on my sounder and another behind it. WE ARE ON. Drive over them again and upwind, burley hard back to them, rods in the water and an instant buckle. After a long and tiring battle i pull up what must have been the smallest pinkie in the bay. Nothing but a banjo and a few tiny flatties after about four moves and more sounding. I think i'm cursed.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:42 pm

maxmikoo wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:01 am
purple5ive wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:05 pm
Forgot to take any photos but went out again this morning. 3:30 am start followed by 2.5 hrs of sounding around and battling noise on the shitty sounder. Perfect conditions assuming i have any idea what i'm talking about, light southerly breeze with tide running in the same direction as the tide rising barometer at 1020 and a beautifully aligned high tide at 7:00 for the dawn bite window. After nothing on the sounder all morning and mucking around with the settings i started to lose hope since my bite window was approaching and then boom. A nice arch hard on the bottom that read about 1m on my sounder and another behind it. WE ARE ON. Drive over them again and upwind, burley hard back to them, rods in the water and an instant buckle. After a long and tiring battle i pull up what must have been the smallest pinkie in the bay. Nothing but a banjo and a few tiny flatties after about four moves and more sounding. I think i'm cursed.
Keep trying, eventually you'll get those fruitful days.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:18 pm

[/
[/quote]

If anyone feels like dropping me in the right direction in terms of marks i wouldn't be opposed at all. Got a feeling that one of my issues is that idk where to start with sounding 😂

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:20 pm

maxmikoo wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:18 pm
[/
If anyone feels like dropping me in the right direction in terms of marks i wouldn't be opposed at all. Got a feeling that one of my issues is that idk where to start with sounding 😂
[/quote]

If it has GPS, there's few GPS marks you can find just by checking in Google or old school fishing books.

I fish landbased or kayak. When I'm on my yak, I personally not spending time looking specifically for arches. I paddle around and when I see something that isn't flat bottom (arches or dots or lumps, or anything at all), I cast.
Or birds diving, though nothing on the sounder. I cast.

Worth reading about the hz and the "cones" about sounder, how depth can affect the readings, etc.
As you may not see any arches but your mate next to you can see them.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 am

Sebb wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:20 pm
maxmikoo wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:18 pm
[/
If it has GPS, there's few GPS marks you can find just by checking in Google or old school fishing books.

I fish landbased or kayak. When I'm on my yak, I personally not spending time looking specifically for arches. I paddle around and when I see something that isn't flat bottom (arches or dots or lumps, or anything at all), I cast.
Or birds diving, though nothing on the sounder. I cast.

Worth reading about the hz and the "cones" about sounder, how depth can affect the readings, etc.
As you may not see any arches but your mate next to you can see them.
[/quote]
Attachments
IMG_7730.jpeg
Are these real arches? One of them i'm not so sure about but either way, all were anchored on and burleyed to for nothing this morning

Return to “Snapper Fishing”