Best session ever-Black Rock

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Best session ever-Black Rock

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:16 am

Headed down to Black Rock the other night with my old man to go out on the boat for the first time in seven months. At first we sounded around the shallows until a school of pinkies appeared on the sounder, we dropped anchor and soon had some undersize ones, soon after some slightly better fish came onboard around 30cm, the fishing wasn’t red hot but it was just nice to be out on the boat again. As we were fishing we noticed in the distance a few birds flying around the surface, they weren’t diving and there wasn’t many so we thought nothing of it. The last time we went out in winter there had been hundreds of birds diving without a single salmon in sight. So we kept fishing and to my surprise I caught a whiting of 36cm, my first in two years. Didn’t get any other whiting but the pinkies kept coming with a few legal ones in between them, we did notice that the birds were now everywhere so we made the decision to up anchor and find out what the commotion was about. We drove over to the birds to notice literal acres of big salmon swimming just beneath the surface. I quickly tied on a halco twister and flung it out. BANG! Salmon from every direction are slamming my lure, jumping out of the water and one hooks up right next to the boat, my line starts peeling and I know it’s a good fish. But it soon comes off, I cast out again with similar results I hook a fish and it gets off. I check my hooks to find out that I now have none, the fish had bent and snapped every treble. I tie on another hook and cast out again and instantly hook one, the fish were boiling at the surface, both of our reels are screaming, I finally manage to get one in and it’s a solid 2kg salmon. We go back into the school and hook up instantly again. This continued for about an hour and the last fish I caught was on my 1-5lb atomic arrowz, took me 15 minutes to land and ended up being the biggest fish of the day at just over 60cm. We caught at least 25 all of which were over 50cm. With the darkness setting in and the salmon gone we headed back to our initial spot to try and get some more pinkies. I was using pilchard but was struggling to get any fish as my bait would instantly get stripped. So I tried free-lining some squid, I just let it drift back unweighted I soon caught a few legal fish and had some very good missed hits. Soon my dad gets a good one at 44cm his first snapper in two years, not a monster by any means but a good table fish. As I was unhooking it for him I hear my baitrunner scream off behind me, I rush to grab it and hook up to a good fish. Eventually I get it in and it’s another snapper, slightly bigger at 48cm. This continued for a while before we decided to head home. Definitely the best fishing I’ve ever had!
Straight after this we went to Westernport, report to come soon.
Attachments
55BFD174-17BE-407F-8AAE-4A7D6C935EC4.jpeg
FC9CDE31-BBD3-4AA1-B697-BA6EC3641856.jpeg
Last edited by Irishfisherman on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Re: Best session ever-Black Rock

Post by Charles7 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:49 am

That must've been some heart-racing fishing, good stuff.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:52 am

Great report, Irish
That's a stonker of a salmon
Gra

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:49 am
That must've been some heart-racing fishing, good stuff.
Cheers mate. I’ve seen videos of salmon bust ups but never actually witnessed one, salmon were everywhere smashing the surface.
Last edited by Irishfisherman on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Texas wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:52 am
Great report, Irish
That's a stonker of a salmon
Gra
Thanks mate, it’s definitely my biggest.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:58 pm

Great report mate, that’s a thumping Salmon.

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:17 pm

great report

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:11 am

Great fight in those fish. Well done.
Bleed them next time as soon as you catch them, they taste a lot better..
And change those trebles to single hooks, you will make unhooking them a lot easier.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:51 am

Well done mate!
Top session.
Cheers 👍🏻

Irishfisherman

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:09 am

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:11 am
Great fight in those fish. Well done.
Bleed them next time as soon as you catch them, they taste a lot better..
And change those trebles to single hooks, you will make unhooking them a lot easier.
Don’t think many fish go harder pound for pound. And cheers for the tips mate, singles would definitely help with unhooking and probably also reduce the amount of times they spit the hook. Will definitely remember to bleed next time, just too much excitement at the time.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”