Rant about product information online in stores

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Rant about product information online in stores

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:05 pm

Does it frustrate anyone else that so many online stores have a website/product page that often omits so many basic product details that you often find yourself having to search up the specs of whatever type of gear you are looking at?

When you are trying to compare across a number of similar products and price ranges you have an inordinate number of windows open you are constantly navigating and flipping back and forth thru - very annoying. Common omissions I see are:

Reels - spool capacity, weight, gearing
Rods - weight range, casting range
Lures (mainly HB's) - buoyancy type, diving depth, weight, length

There are a couple of shops that do an excellent job of capturing all specific product details, but most are always leaving something out and I always wonder why they can't be bothered making it easier for their customers who they should know want to know key product details.

/rant.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Re: Rant about product information online in stores

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Is it really so difficult to look up the manufacturers specs absolutely zero effort for all information you need
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:22 pm

Worst is with SPs and jigheads not saying how many are in the pack

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:17 pm
Is it really so difficult to look up the manufacturers specs absolutely zero effort for all information you need
Well of course that's what I usually do - conversely is it so hard for stores to list basic product information?

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:32 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm
Tackleberry wrote:
Well of course that's what I usually do - conversely is it so hard for stores to list basic product information?
A lot of online stores are one or two person operations it would take literally weeks or longer to put all this information from thousands if not tens of thousands of items time is money
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:57 pm

I guess a lot of people buying online already know what they're getting, hence the willingness to grab it sight unseen rather than going into a shop and comparing a few different models.

Fishing is a **** industry for product information anyway, there's no consistent standards across manufacturers and there's so many useless proprietary terms that it is hard to get much of an idea of a product's quality just from reading about it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:32 pm
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:24 pm
Tackleberry wrote:
A lot of online stores are one or two person operations it would take literally weeks or longer to put all this information from thousands if not tens of thousands of items time is money
Seems like the small ones are more thorough in listing product details than the big ones

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:57 pm

4liters wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:57 pm
I guess a lot of people buying online already know what they're getting, hence the willingness to grab it sight unseen rather than going into a shop and comparing a few different models.
I don't think we are quite talking about the same thing. It's possible to know what you want (product specs wise) but have trouble finding it because a lot of online retailers don't list basic product specs.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:02 pm

When I look around, I often have 4-5 shop pages, then ebay, then the official websites like Daiwa Australia and Shimano Australia.

It is definitely easier when I already know what I want (straight away to comparing prices). But for window shopping, it can be annoying.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:03 am

You're researching backwards. Figure out what kind of thing you want and a price range, use official websites to get the specs you're looking for, then figure out where to buy it. Figuring out where to buy and finding the cheapest price is the last step for me.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Tackle Store Reviews”