Soft Plastic compatibility

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Soft Plastic compatibility

Post by Sneaky1 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:07 am

Learnt a lesson when I left a Zman in a Gulp packet - the thing just melted :o_0:
Which SP's are chemically compatible? Are Zman, PowerBait and Daiwa Bait junkies made from similar compounds?
Obviously keeping Gulp SP's to themselves from now :oo:
Cheers!

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Soft Plastic compatibility

Post by Andrews » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:07 pm

That's really interesting, I reckon even if they're safe to store together you've got the colour bleeding.
I know I'll sometimes find my zman plastics bleeding into eachother, and at other times i'll let them bleed on purpose.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:23 pm

All elastech types , aka ones that stretch the hell out of themselves are ok to store together. But they will melt if kept in the sun for too long. Also will melt if kept in the wrong plastic tackle boxes. And will loose shape if stored incorrectly and can never be returned back to their original shape.

Normal plastics like powerbait and the likes can store with each other. In any plastic tackle box, sleeve or container.

Gulps and any other biodegradable baits can go together. And need to be stored in the liquid they come in. Don't leave them on the jigheads either as they will never come off if they dry out,

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:42 pm

My plan is to take a few of each of Zman, PowerBait and Bait Junkies in one container when I go out. I'm guessing Zman and Bait Junkies would not pose a problem together? PowerBait grubs don't seem to be as "stretchy" - might be a different plastic.
Just left dark PowerBait and a light Zman together for now to see if they react / bleed (room temp). These are in a small plastic container - hope it's a "ZMan approved storage" lol
SP's.JPG

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:31 am

those will soften and then set in the wrong shape if you store them like that
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:04 am

A great storage option that I've used for a few years now for Zman/Bait Junkies and other elastech plastics & jigheads are the Moncross tackle trays. They're a swiss company who used to be partnered with Zman making ABS plastic 'Safe' trays for elastech plastics.

https://www.moncrossswiss.com/tackle-box

Though they're no longer partnered with Zman, they continue to make ABS soft plastic safe tackle trays. Product list above and they're actually pretty affordable which is awesome.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:00 am

My overnight experiment (@room temp) confirms - ZMans do react to PowerBait but did not note any reaction to food grade plastic:
SP's2.JPG

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:54 am

After a few more days the zman will start to melt into those plastic food containers (I had one in a Sistema box from woolies)

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:47 pm

Yea zmans will just melt anything, something in their plastic makeup. plus to be fair the packets do say keep them in the packet to stop this from happening.

I would love to see what happened tho because they melt but in what way?

Also for those that like to use pro cure and wonder why tackle tactics promote it so much its confirmed safe to use from zman themself

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:51 pm

For zmans and other elaztech or other names for 10x strong plastics I've found just keeping them in their packs works the best. The traditional style of plastics can get loaded into trays etc. no problems but I just set up to have everything kept in packets rathr than treating the different types differently.
saph wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:47 pm

Also for those that like to use pro cure and wonder why tackle tactics promote it so much its confirmed safe to use from zman themself
Tackle tactics import procure as well
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”