Busted 45 & Barrett 20 metal slugs - what sized trebles to match?

Mong
Has liked: 8 times

Busted 45 & Barrett 20 metal slugs - what sized trebles to match?

Post by Mong » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:56 am

I recently picked up some Busted 45 and Barrett 20 lures from Busted Fishing, and have no idea what size treble hooks to order to match each of them. Because trebles are expensive and you get a pointlessly large amount per pack, I want to make sure I get it right because I'll be using them a while.

Can anyone using these give me some advice based on experience with these lures?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Busted 45 & Barrett 20 metal slugs - what sized trebles to match?

Post by Brett » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:22 pm

45’s I use a size 2/0 decoy jigging single

Mong

Post by Mong » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:57 pm

Thanks, that's the first useful recommendation in a lot of research. Any experience with trebles on the 45 to compare to the single?

I'm finding it so hard to get an answer on the trebles that I might just go for a single on both the 20 and 45 because at least then I can use my bait fishing hook sizes as a guide for size.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:44 am

As far as I know all of us who fish with busted's use 2/0's like Brett recommended on the 45 and up to a 4/0 on the 75's depending on where we are and what we're targeting.

If I was to give advice, it would be don't use trebles in VIC unless for some reason you don't have access to singles, and then get high quality after markets, as opposed to the wire ones that you pull off stock lures. Anything about the size of a fingernail will do, different companies use different sizes, for example a 1/0 from decoy is different from a 1/0 from BKK.

If you're fishing for salmon, I would very very highly recommend not using trebles, in particular in the surf.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Mong

Post by Mong » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:14 pm

Thanks Brett & Dougie, I'll be going with the 2/0 singles. Appreciate your feedback.

Is a 30lb-rated split ring heavy enough for a 45 with 2/0 single?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:06 pm

Mong wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:14 pm
Thanks Brett & Dougie, I'll be going with the 2/0 singles. Appreciate your feedback.

Is a 30lb-rated split ring heavy enough for a 45 with 2/0 single?
It's fine. More importantly find one that fits. The loop on the Busted's is quite wide, as is the girth of the singles we recommended. Some of us run little assist cords, or splitty - swivel - splitty to try and help a bit with throwing hooks when salmon are jumping and shaking their heads.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:29 pm

Disclaimer as always, this is my opinion only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLR2JxqxL8&ab_channel=Annaren

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Mong

Post by Mong » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:55 pm

Dougie, thank you - that is an awesome explanation. Really appreciate the video, it helps to see what you're talking about.

I'm going to go with the 2/0 single for the 45 and #2 for the 20 and will probably try the split - swivel - split - hook setup first.

Cheers!

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:54 am

Mong wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:55 pm
Dougie, thank you - that is an awesome explanation. Really appreciate the video, it helps to see what you're talking about.

I'm going to go with the 2/0 single for the 45 and #2 for the 20 and will probably try the split - swivel - split - hook setup first.

Cheers!
I'm very happy to record info / technique videos on pretty much any aspect of land based fishing from the beach / rocks. Just ask, same goes for everyone.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Mong

Post by Mong » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:02 am

My two cents on useful topics for rookies - you can find plenty of general recommendations for specific lures, bait rigs, quality brands, etc, but it often lacks the specific info that would help someone trying to put an order together from an online store. Details like actual sizes / weight ratings of hooks, rings or swivels. You end up knowing that you want a Gamakatsu circle hook (for example), but you don't know what size to order.

This is the kind of shared experience that can really help new people out, and you demo'd it perfectly in your video. Just having an experienced fisho saying "I use a 2/0 in this circumstance rigged like this with these components" gives me the shopping list that I need and the context to get going with it. But unless you took the time to explain it as you did, I'd still be here knowing that I want a single hook and staring at the drop-down box of hook sizes on the online store.

I guess that my point is that the really small details are hugely helpful for people looking to learn for the first time and it would be great to see more of that level of detail in explanation, so thanks for taking the time.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”