Soft plastics: as many species as I can possibly catch

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Soft plastics: as many species as I can possibly catch

Post by e.welch » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:13 pm

i might set myself a similar chalange but for me it would be a lot harder because the only fish i have caught on sps are flatties

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:56 pm

I would try setting up a pair of trebles as stinger hooks for squid, better chance of hooking up a tentacle with 4 hooks instead of 1

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:21 pm

I went down to Portsea for the three hour lead-in to high tide. Casting very light jig heads there is interesting when the wind is going one way and the current another. But to my tally I add one? Or maybe two?

I'm 90% confident in saying that's a Tommy Rough/Australian herring. I caught a few.

Someone told me this was bigger Tommy Rough, but I want to say -- and I'm about 20% confident, or less -- that it's one of the snotty trevally someone mentioned earlier.

I also hooked a very small squid, but it dropped off the hook half way up the pier. No score there.

All fish (and squid) were hooked on Keitech 2" Easy Shiners.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:21 pm
Someone told me this was bigger Tommy Rough, but I want to say -- and I'm about 20% confident, or less -- that it's one of the snotty trevally someone mentioned earlier.
Top one is tommy rough. I think the second is some type of jack mackerel, looks like a big yakka but I can't be certain.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am

im going down mornington with soft plastics to try and catch as many species as i can today

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:59 am

e.welch wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am
im going down mornington with soft plastics to try and catch as many species as i can today
good luck, let us know how you go.

ChrisTaylor

Post by ChrisTaylor » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:51 pm

I spent some time in Venus Bay. I rarely fish outside of Port Phillip, so I admit to not really being equipped to fish anywhere with a current. Still, I managed to pick up some small EPs, and I also added a new species to the list with a silver trevally.

I last caught (small) trevally as a child, and never have I caught them on plastics. They give a decent account of themselves, so I reckon I'll be actively targeting them now. Incidentally, I'm not throwing metalhead devil horns, but measuring the fish -- my handspan is 24 cm.

One of the EPs

The EPs and trevally were both hooked from the little jetty next to the Tarwin Lower boat ramp, which is just down from the pub. I didn't get around to targeting bream in the Tarwin system. I'll rectify the lack of bream on my list in the Patterson or Kananook.

One thing that's also occurred to me is I almost always fish in salt, even though Devilbend is close to home. I suspect there's a bit of travel and legwork involved in trying to add species like blackfish, redfin, tench, etc to my list.
Last edited by ChrisTaylor on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ChrisTaylor

Post by ChrisTaylor » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:59 pm

e.welch wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am
Fish lightly, and ensure you give your plastic plenty of time around those pylons. Most of the fish I've caught from that pier were skulking around the pylons.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Good stuff mate. Trevally are one of the best fighters on light gear.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:51 pm

Caught my first blue / greasy mackerel on SPs during my Christmas trip home. Not that I thought it couldn't be done but I always used to chase them with bait.

They went wild for a 1.5 / 2" red SP with a small jig head, forget the exact size. Hit me nearly every cast (offshore).

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”