Fireline

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Fireline

Post by Sneaky1 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am

Have been using lighter (8lb) Fireline for years. Recently got a spool of Smoke 14lb Fireline - it's incredibly stiff, not sure if this is a batch issue or not but re-spooled my 2500 with an AliExpress Four-strand rated at 18lb.

I took a few measurements of each:
- Fireline Claimed = 0.23, measured = 0.25 average (although I think it's flat, not round?)
- Four-Strand Claimed = 0.14, measured = 0.20 average

I accept the Four-strand "18lb" could well be 12lb or so but it's more limp and think it'll cast far better than Fireline and get more line on my 2500. I've used this same brand in 15lb and 10lb before without issues on my 2000 sized reels.

Anyone had similar experience with Fireline?
This is to be used with 16lb Fluro leader - exclusively for SP's in PPB.

Cheers :)

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Fireline

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:27 am

Fireline is not braided. It is fused. It can get flattened and twists are very obvious. I stopped using it eons ago.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:47 am

Fireline is fused and super tough and long lasting.

It needs to wear in and takes quite sometime to do so the upside it will last 10 years if not more.

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 am

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:47 am

It needs to wear in and takes quite sometime to do so the upside it will last 10 years if not more.
Fireline is back on its spool for now, might just use it on my bait rod next season.
I think with all lines the "rating" will just be a reference for me from now - and go by the type / diameter, except for leaders.
At the end, what's a "15lb" line - what are the tolerances, unless it's a test / expensive tournament line?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:15 am

Bought and used once. Stiff at the beginning of use, then got smooth but lost the colour quickly. Then got weird.
Like the others said, it's a fusion. Since then, if I wanted a braid, then I'd get proper braid.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:47 pm

I love fireline and use 6lb. Doesn't tangle and break and you can get it for $10 a spool at anaconda most times. I also haven't had a problem landing fish well above its breaking strain. Spiderwire is the other one I use and you can get it for $15

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:32 pm

Sneaky1 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 am
frozenpod wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:47 am

Fireline is back on its spool for now, might just use it on my bait rod next season.
I think with all lines the "rating" will just be a reference for me from now - and go by the type / diameter, except for leaders.
At the end, what's a "15lb" line - what are the tolerances, unless it's a test / expensive tournament line?
Ultimately use what ever makes you happy.

But yes many people like to use thickness ie PE rating rsthing than braking strain for braid.

I personally use a combination of both.

As to what is 15lb line, IGFA rated mono has to break before the stated breaking strain so a 15lb IGFA mono would have to break under 15lb.

Braid tends to be stronger and have a higher breaking strain than rated. Part of this is when new braid often has coatings fused, semi fused etc which improves the breaking strain and this wears away and this the breaking strain reduces with use.

If you test braid after 12 months of use most will be very close to the rating some will feel very similar to new and others will feel quite different.

For spin reel use I like tasline and fins. Cheaper options that are ok suffix and stern, stern being semi fused takes a while to wear in.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 pm

I remember about 5-6 years ago fireline was all the rage, maybe it’s been surpassed by more modern designs or something.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sneaky1

Post by Sneaky1 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:30 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 pm
I remember about 5-6 years ago fireline was all the rage, maybe it’s been surpassed by more modern designs or something.
I still have FL on one of my smaller reels and yes it's quite old and "feels" ok - compared to the 14lb FL I got recently - maybe it's me that's getting old and forgot what FL is like fresh :oo:
Anyway, tomorrow morning the bay is looking calm - looking forward to testing out the new setup :tu:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:09 am

I tried fused lines for a bit but really really didn't like them.

Has there been any significant upgrades in the past 5ish years?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”