Braid to replace Berkely fireline

ango

Braid to replace Berkely fireline

Post by ango » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:58 am

G'day,

I am looking for a braid to replace Berkely Fireline. I like the Fireline but it seems to be a bit hard to find these days, particularly the yellow colour that I prefer.
Has any one tried Berkely X5, or Spiderwire Durasilk, they seem reasonably priced and available. Any suggestions? I would prefer to use a mid priced line, $20-$25 per 125 m spool, similar to the Fireline.
Most of my fishing is casting soft plastics on light jig heads so I want to avoid the dreaded air knots that can happen when the line gets a bit loose on the spool. The fused braid seems pretty good in this regard.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Braid to replace Berkely fireline

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:14 am

I’ve been using Rovex D8 and WFT Strongline for years now with no issues. Neither of them will break the bank.

I’ve not really used them for light lures though so I can’t really comment on the wind knots
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:47 am

ango wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:58 am
G'day,

I am looking for a braid to replace Berkely Fireline. I like the Fireline but it seems to be a bit hard to find these days, particularly the yellow colour that I prefer.
Has any one tried Berkely X5, or Spiderwire Durasilk, they seem reasonably priced and available. Any suggestions? I would prefer to use a mid priced line, $20-$25 per 125 m spool, similar to the Fireline.
Most of my fishing is casting soft plastics on light jig heads so I want to avoid the dreaded air knots that can happen when the line gets a bit loose on the spool. The fused braid seems pretty good in this regard.
I've been using Spiderwire durasilk 6lb for quite a while now and I can;t fault it, $15 at Ananconda

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Spiderwire thin braids (10lb or less) are good. Otherwise, I usually use sunline 8x or Jbraid 8x, tasline if you could get.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tadyyn
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Tadyyn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:27 pm

ango wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:58 am
G'day,

I just bought the spiderwire durasilk yesterday and then went to mordi pier, feels very nice to cast but a tiny bit of stretch

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”