Leader line length

ango

Re: Leader line length

Post by ango » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:29 pm

I start with about 1.25 m and when it is about 0.75 m I start again. I am mostly fishing SP's for duskie's and this seems to work Ok. Actually I am not getting many this year (East Gippy) because the water has just not warmed up, maybe they are still up river? Plenty of whiting around to keep me happy though.
Cheers
Ango.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:58 pm

NoMoreFish wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:04 pm
When you are referring to leader line, do you mean the length of line from where the braid is connected to some sort of connection/swivel where the righ starts ie hook and sinker.?
Yes, in a way, if you use braid you need to attach some leader material to it and that is done by a few different knots, have a look on youtube and find how to tie a leader to braid. I mainly use good quality mono these days as i like to fish the surface or shallow running lures over snags, mono floats much more than fluro. I use fluro leader if i am using deeper diving lures. It depends what sort of fishing you are doing really.

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:10 pm

Adding a comment for us EGI people + future searches - I run around 80cm of 15lb fluro on 6lb braid for squid land-based. Never had any issues hauling up rocks and everything in between.

Soft plastics I'll do a rod or more length, just gives me that extra abrasion resistance fishing heavy weed, reef and structure. Also lets me tie on plastics without worrying about it being too short.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:08 pm

Andrews wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:10 pm
Adding a comment for us EGI people + future searches - I run around 80cm of 15lb fluro on 6lb braid for squid land-based. Never had any issues hauling up rocks and everything in between.

Soft plastics I'll do a rod or more length, just gives me that extra abrasion resistance fishing heavy weed, reef and structure. Also lets me tie on plastics without worrying about it being too short.
Considering squid hunts with their eyes and they have big eyes, they seem to be easily fooled with short and thick leader.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:17 pm

i usually sit the leader knot between the spool and the first stripper guide. with enough left hanging out to make a decent cast, usually that equates to around 2 outstretched arm lengths for me.
only time i will run an extra long leader (3 or 4m long) is when im fishing cranks for bream on the flats, i also run a very parabolic rod for this application.
Horses for causes though, once you fish hard enough you start to work out what suits your style and adjust accordingly.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”