Fluro leader length for bream

Flattydog3M

Fluro leader length for bream

Post by Flattydog3M » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:15 pm

If i'm using around 80-90cm of fluro leader for sp fishing for bream would this be sufficient enough? I'm using thin clear mono for my main line, so i thought that the fish seeing line wont be an issue. What's the maxium length you guys go to, before you change your leader? I'm also using a 1/20th oz jighead with a 2.5" grub but i'm not sure if i'm getting good casting distance. What's a normal casting distance for a jighead that size?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Fluro leader length for bream

Post by Sebb » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:59 pm

Flattydog3M wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:15 pm
If i'm using around 80-90cm of fluro leader for sp fishing for bream would this be sufficient enough? I'm using thin clear mono for my main line, so i thought that the fish seeing line wont be an issue. What's the maxium length you guys go to, before you change your leader? I'm also using a 1/20th oz jighead with a 2.5" grub but i'm not sure if i'm getting good casting distance. What's a normal casting distance for a jighead that size?

I don't have a very good record for bream on lures, but I use a rod length leader.
I also use 1/20 and maybe get about 7-10m distance.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 pm

I generally use a long leader up the rod then down the rod and 2 turns onto the reel, so approximately around 4mt.
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:06 pm

IFISHALOT wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 pm
I generally use a long leader up the rod then down the rod and 2 turns onto the reel, so approximately around 4mt.
Maybe that's why I don't have a good record of bream fishing on lures.
How many lb is your leader? And what knot to join the main line (assuming braid) to the fluorocarbon leader? Doesn't get stuck on the bail arm roller?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Flattydog3M

Post by Flattydog3M » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:58 pm

IFISHALOT wrote:
4m of leader is overkill in my opinion from what ive have read i thing 1- 1.5m is suffient. The slim beauty knot is strong and only sometimes i can hear small clicks of the line when casting.

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:18 am

Sebb wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:06 pm
IFISHALOT wrote:
Maybe that's why I don't have a good record of bream fishing on lures.
How many lb is your leader? And what knot to join the main line (assuming braid) to the fluorocarbon leader? Doesn't get stuck on the bail arm roller?

Hi Sebb,

I generally use 5lb around structure and 4lb on flats and open water. The knot I use is a 5 turn Surgeons knot for connection between the Braid and Fluorocarbon it's small and never let me down.
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 am

When I used to bream fish I always had the leader long enough to be on the reel when I cast, they are spooky little buggers. I use a uni to uni and have never had a problem with it.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:14 am

Longer the leader the better for bream.
You will cast a lot better distances on those sized jigheads if you use braided line.
Plenty of these topics have been covered before, do a search and read up.
Cheers

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”