Mono to Braid Advice

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Mono to Braid Advice

Post by Sebb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:16 pm

Charlie8003 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:21 pm
Not sure to be honest was working along the live of replacing with a similar diameter material with added strength but thinking about it agree 20lb would be overkilll
Stronger line comes with a 'price'. Though a 20lb braid may be the same or thinner than a 6lb mono, it's still thicker than a 6lb braid.

My personal rule of thumb is go as light as possible that you can get away with the fish you're trying to catch. You'll get more bites/hookups (again I can go to the details if you want me to).

If you're simply just want to change the mono line onto a braid, then first decide what do you want/use the 2000 reel for, and get the lightest braid line you think you can get away with.

For comparison, i use 6lb braid for trout and bream on a 2000 reel, use 10lb braid for flathead, pinkie, whiting, squid on 2500 reel. Then 20lb braid for snapper on 4000 reel.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Charlie8003

Post by Charlie8003 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Well headed down to Anaconda today picked up a 150mtr spool of 6lb Shimano Kairiki 8 in Mantis Green will put that on a spool and give it a go on the weekend.
Got to love going to Anaconda walk in for line walk out an hour later $130 lighter but have a handful of Repala lures to take home

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:58 am

purple5ive wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:57 pm

Use a double uni knot to tie braid to leader.
Once your a bit more experienced learn to tie the fg knot or some other more complicated but superior knots .

Cheers
Or try a GT knot as simple to tie as a double uni but probably smaller and Kent to be as strong as a FG
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:52 pm

Charlie8003 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:40 pm
Hi Guys I normally use 2000 size reels loaded with 8lb mono to flick tassie, Celta’s and the odd hard body lure.
Reels are due for new line and was thinking of moving to 20lb braid.
Would this be a suitable change, would I loose anything in distance with the lighter lures? Can I tie lure directly to braid or would you recommend using a leader? If the leader is better weight leader would be a good choice?
Never used braid before so I hope I am not asking to many dumb questions
Just caught up with his thread and I wondered why you decided to go to braid? Reading the wonderful reports from trout guru Meppstas, I notice that his preferred, and clearly very successful line for flicking Celtas etc is good quality mono. I reckon I'd just follow suit.
Cheers, Col.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:00 pm

I personally would stick to quality 12lb braid, it is still very thin. My experience with 6-8lb braid is that they tend to be very fragile.

For braid to leader knot try the Modified Albright, the second slimest knot, one of the easiest to tie and one of the strongest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_2xautA1U

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:56 pm

All this advice for braid rated in lb not in thickness.

Imo you want a thin braid without being floss. A pe0.6 is right but 0.8 would be easier to tie knots in.

In that thickness range any good braid will be somewhere between 10-20lb rated.

I’d be running 5lb leader on fish but I’d practice the fg knot with say 12lb until it’s mastered. You should get it down in a few hours.

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:06 pm

I agree that 6lb braid is super thin (Jbraid is 0.6pe, dunno about shimano), you'd be surprised how much strength it has for the thin diameter. You'd be able to take on a bigger fish than the lb rating if done correctly.

I've always liked the double uni knot, never had any issues tying the 6lb braid to 15lb fluorocarbon. I agree with using a light leader, depends how much structure you're dealing with.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”