Loading braid onto a spool

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Loading braid onto a spool

Post by saph » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:45 am

Hi, just need some tips on loading braid onto a spinning reel as i have never done this before. Thanks.

EDIT: this is done see post http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... 49#p318749
Last edited by saph on Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Loading braid onto a spool

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:24 pm

Put the braid to another reel (old reel or whatever) just by winding and set some drag.
Put the new reel on a rod, put some mono first to prevent it from slipping on the intended reel and tie the braid with fg knot or slim beauty knot. And wind.
So it's like old reel with the line through the rod and to the new reel.
The drag on the old reel is to make it tight on the new reel.
Loose braid on a spool is a ticking bomb. Only matter of time before air knot etc happen.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:26 pm

For the average reel - spool on about 10m of mono or enough to cover the base. Attach your braid to the mono with a knot and keep spooling it on. The mono stops the braid from slipping on the spool. Otherwise, put masking tape on the base before you spool on the braid.

Fancy reels with special backing - just spool straight on.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:00 pm

Put the braid on tight ! and when winding back on the reel after a cast try to keep the line tight with your fingers or say hello to Mr wind knot. ( He's a mongrel ! )
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:42 pm

Easy
Throw the braid in the bin and use mono job dun

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:52 pm

denis barden wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:42 pm
Easy
Throw the braid in the bin and use mono job dun
Hey denis you been wacking the whiting lately or is it quiet with you to ?

Lots of complaining on the interwebs they are hard to get onto at the present time..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Hornet
Weather been a bit odd.
For the last 6 odd trips ive averaged only about 6 fish for 4 hours
They have had some good catches south of St Leonards between Green stick 3 and 1 in the Coles Channel run out tide
Squid very slow as well

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:00 pm

If you're using mono backing, put the braid on first, then top the reel up with the mono. Then you need to wind the line off the first reel and onto a second (now it will be mono under the braid) onto a third reel (mono will be back on top), and finally back onto the reel you want the line on. You can save a bit of time if you have a spare spool for your reel, or another reel of the exact same make and model without any line on it - just transfer the line from on to the other and the line will be the right way around.

If you're filling all the way with braid, tie on a short length of mono (1-2m) onto the spool and join to the braid with an FG knot (other knots stick out too much and can catch on line coming off the spool). Wind on the braid as normal.

You need to keep the braid tight as you wind it on or you'll have issues with wind knots as others have said. You'll also have less line on the spool, and can end up with the braid sitting much lower on the spool once it does get wound on tight.

Easiest way I've found is to sit on a chair with a bath towel under your feet. Put the spool of braid on the towel between your feet and put something long and flexible through the centre of the spool of braid- I found a bit of plastic coat hanger worked well for this. Then you put your feet on each end of the bit of plastic so it presses the spool into the towel (the towel is so it doesn't ruin your carpet), this will give you the resistance you need to get the braid on tight. Then you just sit on the chair and wind the braid on. I put the reel on a rod for doing this, the bend in the rod as I wind the line on gives me an idea of how much pressure I'm applying. Hope that makes sense.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:14 pm

Easy Brother attach mono first on the reel your spooling up the sienna 2500 reel so just make sure the the base of the spool has mono backing attach reel to rod run mono threw the runner,s tie mono to braid with i use the improved albright knot 10 wraps the 5 wraps push pen threw spool of braid have someone hold spool of braid firm wind reel done reel done. Now to work out how much mono to put on will came with practice if your unsure if the braid,s on tight when you go to the pier just put on a heavier jighead and increase your casting distance as yo go to bed it when you get a fish he will sort it out . I just loaded up some sunline braid last night i will put up a pic

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:57 am

So i just spooled the reel and put all the 150 meters i brought on heres the results

Also i thought i brought braid not braided monofiliment? this is under my uv tourch on the cloth i used to keep tension

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”