Whats tour favorite snapper rig?

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Whats tour favorite snapper rig?

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:36 pm

First off let me say that i am by no means an expert on snapper fishing. I have had a little luck with pinkies, but i am yet to land a proper red on my boat since getting back in to boat based fishing about 4 or so years ago.

The old school double paternoster rig with a snapper sinker has been my go to rig for most of my PPB fishing. As i have said i have had some mild success landing pinkies with this type of rig. This pretty much goes back to how my old man taught me to fish in the 80's. And since owning my own boat for PPB i have just carried on this tradition.

However after doing some research i have since learnt that most PPB snapper fisherman have moved on to a light running sinker rig or even no lead at all. So i am thinking i will dedicate the next 12 months or so a go at testing out this method and see if my results improve over time.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Another one for the snapper snatchers. Love those things :thumbsup:

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Winter on the pinkies. Running sinker 3/0 hook. Anchor up and fish with a slack line. a very flexible rod helps keep the fish on. Let the fish take it and pull a little line. Then hold the reel and hit it to set the hook.
Summer and early Autumn paternoster. 5/0 hook tension on the line and get ready for the big hit. Sharp hooks and never let the fish get any slack once it is hooked.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:42 pm

walkinginunison wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 pm
rb85 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:53 am
Early season I use a “western port” running sinker rig. Using the ducks nuts sliders they pick up less weed.

https://www.bustedwholesale.com/busted- ... ducts.html

40lb fluorocarbon leader to a snelled cpoint hook with a dx on the bottom.

Later in season I run circles.
They look neat! Although how do you prevent the line running from the slider to the sinker from wrapping around the hook leader or main line? To me that is one of the best aspects of ezi-rig type clips
A simple blood knot will pull tight enough on the knotch in the centre. They aren’t as bulky as the EZY rig and catch less we’d down the line.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm
Interesting how people use different rigs early and late season....what sort of setups are you guys using over winter?
*I swear by snapper snatchers
I would go my early season rig.
Last edited by rb85 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm

In ppb 10m or less no sinker (unless there is a current )
10-16m pea size running sinker to a a rolling swivel/about 74cm leader
16m+ about a 1cm ball running sinker/swivel etc
Sometimes we sound the fish mid water,then floating rigs
Even when bottom fishing i always have a floater out especially when cubing

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Snelled twin 5/0 suicide with a running sinker. Easy done.

Never bothered with snapper snatchers or whiting snatcher rigs. Always thought the bit of tinsel was an expensive gimmick. Might run an experiment this season and fish 2 rods only,1 with a snatcher and 1 with a standard self made rig and record the results. Will be interesting to see what happens

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm
Interesting how people use different rigs early and late season....what sort of setups are you guys using over winter?
*I swear by snapper snatchers
Good posted question.

I run the same rigs either season but run different rigs depending on the spot. But similar to re-tyred
re-tyred wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 pm
Winter on the pinkies. Running sinker 3/0 hook. Anchor up and fish with a slack line. a very flexible rod helps keep the fish on. Let the fish take it and pull a little line. Then hold the reel and hit it to set the hook.
Summer and early Autumn paternoster. 5/0 hook tension on the line and get ready for the big hit. Sharp hooks and never let the fish get any slack once it is hooked.

A mix of paternoster (with the lightest sinker to grab bottom) and snatcher style hooks if they are grabbing baits , , , , or suicides if they are biting on baits. These rigs are cast to the side.

A running rig, some as above but with the smallest sinker or no sinker. These are cast straight back

Cheers, Buggaboo

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:09 am

I've never had much luck with paternosters in PPB. All of our bigger fish have come from twin snelled rigs floated out the back of the boat with either no weight or the smallest ball sinker possible.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 am

PPB: small ball sinker on 20lb mono to swivel to 40lb leader approx 60cm with a 4/0 and a 5/0 snelled. Use overheads so need that sinker just for casting otherwise its a dog. Usually circles unless finicky. Or 1/4oz 3/0 jighead with a 5-7inch plastic.

WP: ezyrig without the clip on 30lb braid to swivel to approx 7ft long 60-120lb leader depending on what sort of biteys are hanging around. Either single 7/0 circle or a 5/0 a nd 6/0 snelled circles depending on what bait is going on

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”