The Pulley Rig

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

The Pulley Rig

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:32 pm

The Pulley rig has a number of advantages, it is designed to clip the bait close to the sinker and aid distance casting by reducing wind resistance. Secondly when a fish is hooked the sinker is pulled up to the swivel helping to prevent snagging the sinker..

The photos, show different grips weights 100g (3.52oz), 125g (4.4oz) and 150 (5.29oz) grams. Surf poppers or plain baited hooks can be used.

The line strength to the sinker is 60lb, and to the hook 40lb.
Attachments
mine 003a.jpg
mine 003a.jpg (241.63 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
mine 001a.jpg
mine 001a.jpg (242.09 KiB) Viewed 1073 times

Wolly Bugger

Re: The Pulley Rig

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Salmon caught using the grip sinkers 125 and 150grams
Attachments
mine 071a.jpg
mine 071a.jpg (210.59 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
mine 072a.jpg
mine 072a.jpg (153.4 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Seen them in use in the uk, normally over rough ground to lift them out of the snags, (in theory). Just wondering if that salmon was caught on a surf beach, if so, why a pullley rig..?
Carl..

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 pm

CarlG wrote:Seen them in use in the uk, normally over rough ground to lift them out of the snags, (in theory). Just wondering if that salmon was caught on a surf beach, if so, why a pullley rig..?
Carl..
Basically I use it to gain distance with casting.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:13 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
CarlG wrote:Seen them in use in the uk, normally over rough ground to lift them out of the snags, (in theory). Just wondering if that salmon was caught on a surf beach, if so, why a pullley rig..?
Carl..
Basically I use it to gain distance with casting.
Cool. There`s a lot of thought gone into surfcasting rigs, bait clips, impact shields, wrapping the bait with poly vinyl alcohol strips so it sits tight to the sinker during casting...it is all a bit beyond me..Can you buy that stuff here, or do you get it from the uk..? The one thing in your rig that`s really familiar are the breakout sinkers, with the big tidal flow where I used to live, they were standard on most rigs..

Carl..

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:01 am

The bits and pieces are hard to find here, so most I have got from the UK, not exactly cheap.

I bought the sinker moulds and are making them. Considering that the side current on our surf beaches can at times be a real pain, I find the sinkers hold better than the common star sinker.

Plus there is much less drag on them when retrieving them, than compared to the star sinker.

When I was fishing at Gunna, there were two blokes beside me, I was catching the fish, perhaps because I could cast just that little bit further than they could.

Fishtofish

Post by Fishtofish » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:16 am

wolly,no need to go to UK to get the sinker!!!!.
saw em in peninsula tackle at rosebud today.
pricey???.about $5 for the big ones.
was there today as I'm looking for light star sinker for light surf fishing.
ended up getting em off the disposal shop.says 2 oz but they're about 1/2oz.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:23 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:The bits and pieces are hard to find here, so most I have got from the UK, not exactly cheap.

I bought the sinker moulds and are making them. Considering that the side current on our surf beaches can at times be a real pain, I find the sinkers hold better than the common star sinker.

Plus there is much less drag on them when retrieving them, than compared to the star sinker.

When I was fishing at Gunna, there were two blokes beside me, I was catching the fish, perhaps because I could cast just that little bit further than they could.

I hate star sinkers. I stopped using them, when I discovered these style of sinkers. Do you make 4 ounce breakaways, Wolly? If so how much, each?
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”