Cheaper tackle

longbob

Cheaper tackle

Post by longbob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:15 am

I use cheaper department store tackle all the time. I can't afford the gear they show me in the fishing shops, or advertise as being the best. I'm not even sure if I would if I could afford it. Fishing is a hobby I enjoy as a pensioner. I am looked at askance by some with expensive tackle, but results are what matter. Pity I haven't had many so far :roflmao:
Point is, does spending more money on your gear give better results? And there must be a point where expense is not justified.
I am not talking about deep sea or game fishing here, just local rivers cricks and lakes.
Be interested in thoughts of others on this topic

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Cheaper tackle

Post by frozenpod » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:23 am

Law of diminishing returns applies to fishing gear.

There often is a small improvements, lighter, smoother, higher quality bearings, more bearings and longer lastering but the cheaper gear can be 90% as good at 30% of the price.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:25 am

Generally no. However as your skills increase the better quality gear can allow you do some things more effectively. Eg casting ultralight lures etc. but in general it's a feel thing rather than a neccisity.

Edit. Frozen pod put it better.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:28 am

I buy half decent fishing line,the bottom end jarvis walker line is crap
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:40 am

I took a mate fishing last night, I took with me a light rod (7 foot 3-5kg) with 1000 sized reel, and a heavier rod (10 foot 6-8kg) with 4000 sized reel, both spooled with braid. Both outfits are worth around the $150 mark, give or take a bit, including the braid, so they're not the greatest by any means, but compared to my mates cheap kmart special (10 foot, not sure of its ratings) with its included cheap mono, mine were leaps and bounds better than his. We found that the fish were biting about 40m out and I was able to get to them with my 7 foot rod whereas my mate had no hope with his kmart special.
I believe quality terminal tackle makes a difference too. Cheap hooks are not as sharp as quality hooks, they rust a lot quicker so you go through them a lot quicker, and they're weaker so if you snag a decent fish there's a chance they'll bend the hook out.
Decent tackle also makes fishing more enjoyable. Lighter rods, nicer action in rods, smoother/better drag on reels, better casting with quality rods reels and line. You don't have to spend thousands, just a little bit more for "decent" gear and you'll notice the difference.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 am

^ A lot of that might be casting technique as well.

I can feel the difference between a $30 kmart rod and my 9 foot catana which retails at 110 or so. I can't tell the difference really betweeen the Catana and one of the $300 + rods.

Things like line, leader and hooks shouldn't be skimped on too much in my opinion. There is no reason to spend big dollars on top quality gear, but buying Sportfisher line and $1.50 for 100 hooks is asking to break off when you hook a decent fish.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:59 pm

longbob wrote:I use cheaper department store tackle all the time. I can't afford the gear they show me in the fishing shops, or advertise as being the best. I'm not even sure if I would if I could afford it. Fishing is a hobby I enjoy as a pensioner. I am looked at askance by some with expensive tackle, but results are what matter. Pity I haven't had many so far :roflmao:
Point is, does spending more money on your gear give better results? And there must be a point where expense is not justified.
I am not talking about deep sea or game fishing here, just local rivers cricks and lakes.
Be interested in thoughts of others on this topic
Years ago when I was working and doing a bit of Coarse fishing I only used quality gear. Then due to health issues and only fishing about once a year if I was lucky most of my gear was sold

I only took up fishing again a couple of years back and luckily I kept some of my cheaper gear and picked up a bit more from Kmart, BigW, Rays and BCF.

These days I'm only a bait soaker on a Pension and the cheaper gear suites the type of fishing I do.

I go fishing to relax and enjoy myself if I'm lucky enough to catch a fish even mud suckers it's a bonus.

At this stage I have never seen a fish pop his head out of the water to see what brand of gear I am using.

But when you read some of the posts on the forum and see the pictures of catches you need the top gear (I'm bloody envious to)

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:23 pm

With over 20 outfits I do own a few 'exxy' outfits but I also have mid range gear(mainly for bait soaking). I would only encourage someone to buy a 'top shelf' rod or reel after they have fished with a base/midrange model. Only then can you truly appreciate what $300 rods can offer! Are $300+ rods 10x better than a k-mart $30 rod??? Probably not... But nice gear is a pleasure to use and sometimes makes the difference with casting, bite detection, ease of fighting the fish as well as less chance of loosing your trophy fish. Each to their own and buy what you can afford or justify! :)
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:28 pm

shazdoggg wrote:With over 20 outfits I do own a few 'exxy' outfits but I also have mid range gear(mainly for bait soaking). I would only encourage someone to buy a 'top shelf' rod or reel after they have fished with a base/midrange model. Only then can you truly appreciate what $300 rods can offer! Are $300+ rods 10x better than a k-mart $30 rod??? Probably not... But nice gear is a pleasure to use and sometimes makes the difference with casting, bite detection, ease of fighting the fish as well as less chance of loosing your trophy fish. Each to their own and buy what you can afford or justify! :)

Perfectly put!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Longbob

If you can't afford expensive gear try and get the best you can afford from Bcf, Rays, Compleat Angler etc when they have their sales.
Ask questions here and get an idea of what type of fishing you would like to do etc.
It's good to do as much fact finding/research as you can before you buy especially as you say you are on a pension.
If you do buy a cheap rod n reel combo from Kmart etc make sure you keep it clean all the time especially after each fishing trip & get some reel lubricant also.
Even the cheap stuff can give you loads of fun if you take the time to take care of your equipment.
Plenty of people on this forum and out in Fishoville use Kmart, BigW stuff with success.
As some have said if you can afford better then you should experience a better smoother fishing ( it also depends of course on how nit picky you are).
Most important rule - Take good care of your equipment ( Hey but I'm still a relative Newbie ).
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”