Tool box instead of tackle box

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Tool box instead of tackle box

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:48 pm

I decided to gather my reels from the garage shelves and I was surprised how many reels I collected ..... 6 nice Shimano spin reels (4 stradics and 2 sustain), 2 Shimano Aernos 6000, 4 Daiwa Spin reels, 1 Team Daiwa baitcast reel, 2 Shimano baitcast reels plus 3 older model Shimano Aernos reels worth $50 each back then in excellent working condition and 2 game reels . 20 all up, just from the garage shelves.! :shocker: :shocker: :whoh:

I put them on a cardboard box and the missus saw the collection. As usual, the question was "how much did you spend on that? All I managed to give her was a cheeky grin. She knows I bought a Stradic CI4 lately. "You better protect the expensive ones", she said. Good suggestion!

Off to bunnings I went - no suitable case. Went home and found a Pelican hard case 1520 worth $300 from my stash of bits and pieces. Off to Clark Rubber to buy quality foam padding and went back home $55 poorer. With a bit of messing around, I was able to box up the 7 reels. More to box up when I find a suitable tool box. Here is what I managed to do today.

I can't afford another Pelican case today to finish packing my reels. Any good hard plastic case out there? No tackle boxes please. I have 4 of those already.

Cheers
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

vinhii

Re: Tool box instead of tackle box

Post by vinhii » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:36 am

Damn fish!! thats a really nice and clean set up you got!
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

Beached

Post by Beached » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:52 am

Good idea going to do this myself

Dan
Dont worry about tomorrow, dont worry about next week, live for now and long live the weekend.

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:04 pm

I was not satisfied with my tool box set up. I did some modifications to the layout and I managed to squeeze in 5 more reels in the same case. This is the final result:

12 reels in 1 box. The handles were placed on the same slots occupied by the reels and held in place by the foams I carved out. I then placed another foam sheet on top to fill the lid gap and stop the reels from moving.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:06 pm

Fish-cador wrote:I was not satisfied with my tool box set up. I did some modifications to the layout and I managed to squeeze in 5 more reels in the same case. This is the final result:

12 reels in 1 box. The handles were placed on the same slots occupied by the reels and held in place by the foams I carved out. I then placed another foam sheet on top to fill the lid gap and stop the reels from moving.

HI Buddy,

It's me from our eBay days, how you going ???

Nice set up, what did you end up doing with the handles for the spinning reels ?
Other wise looks perfect.
I am sure a lot of guys that travel would find that just a work of art.
Me I just throw mine around the home and in the car when going fishing as most others do and crack the sads when I break the odd one now and then. The amount of reels I have had break at the reel mount is horrific. Lucky that I use cheap reels and have plenty of them. To say that on some other sites I would be called a cheap skate for using cheaper reels than some of those fanatics.
Now what do you put your Stella's in and that Daiwa MorethanBrazino in ?

Cheers
Nick

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Hey Nick,

I use my Shimano T-Curve revolution rod for light spinning. That Daiwa baitcast reel (blue) is paired with a Daiwa Zillion rod. I use the baitcaster to chase the redfins in Rowville lakes and occasional salmon hunt. The handles of the spin reels were place on top of the reels and padded with foam. If I leave them attached to the reel, I cannot put that much reel in the box as the handles take space.

How's eBay doing? Have you dusted your boat or have you sold it in eBay for 99 cents? :lolf: Is everything OK over there?
====
Words of wisdom:
====

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:09 am

HI Fish,

Well the sturdy box certainly looks the part, I you hav found a place in it to put the handles then it's just about perfect.
Sure e could try to add this or that but would lose functionality of it.

I will bid $35 for it !!!

eBay is doing it same old self, making money for themselves and stuff the sellers no matter how much evedince you have in posting the items, now all mine get sent Registertered Post. Costs me in sales as they see the same item with $3 less postage but can get caught out in the end. Si it depends on much much effort I put into it, while Helen was sick and still is I try to limit it.
Have you dusted your boat or have you sold it in eBay for 99 cents? Is everything OK over there?
Just about, going to ask a couple of guys from here to have a working bee and get it all done in a day. I know how to do servicing as its what I used to now but the boody is broken.
Si I will try to organise Wooly and Brett to give me a hand in cleaning it up and finsihng it off.
Come on you guys, broken body person needs a hand.......please.............

cheers
Nik

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:27 am

TackleNut wrote:HI Fish,

Just about, going to ask a couple of guys from here to have a working bee and get it all done in a day. I know how to do servicing as its what I used to now but the boody is broken.
Si I will try to organise Wooly and Brett to give me a hand in cleaning it up and finsihng it off.
Come on you guys, broken body person needs a hand.......please.............

cheers
Nik

Just let me know when Nick, I'll bring the wife and kids have a bbq or similar and get it all ready, I'll grab some gear while I'm there lol

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:13 pm

$35 bid? That is just for the foam. :angry: Higher! :lolf:

That was my first attempt (I mean foam). I have a plan in mind but I have to buy a new foam. This time I will rearrange the reels so I can carve slots on the foam where the handles will sit. Alternatively, since there is enough space on the top lid, I can actually carve the foam on that side and place the handles there. It should look a lot better next time. I learn everytime I break something. :lolf:

As for your boat, since it is now damaged, I will buy it for 99 cents - pick up. No need to post it in eBay. Will pay on pick up. Dont bother wiping the dusts, I can do it myself.

Happy to drop by and help you there. Just shout. What do I need to bring, pressure washer or crusher (for the boat) :grin:
====
Words of wisdom:
====

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Brett wrote:
Just let me know when Nick, I'll bring the wife and kids have a bbq or similar and get it all ready, I'll grab some gear while I'm there lol
Thanks buddy, I got to organise it soon, once I get that bimini fixed then nothing stopping us.
What does **** me off is the bloody bimini, I bent one arm and ripped the canvas a bit so will have to take off and take to a bimini/trimmers shop. I can already feel the price gouging going on. Small job going to be turned into a few hundred $$.
I asked one place to just cut and splice join it. Ohh no they said, its got to be done there way.

Actually was lokking at a replacement boat at the boat show, was an 18 footer specially made windscreen & tralier to fit into under a normal height garage door. It was at the JV Marine stand and pretty sure was a Formlua Boat
They had it on special for the show calling it the Snapper Value Pack but strangest of things is that they wouldn't change the motor brand. :Blah: All they would sell it with was eTecs, even though I know that JV sells other brands.

My boat is a Savage Centruion, 2002 model, so its 16ft and with the motor has done about 150hrs in all those years. Poor thing is hardly run in and if it was an eTec would be another 5 years away from its service if we were servicing by hours used.
But I didn't mind that Snapper Value Pack boat but the deal they wanted was crazy,
There boat, 18ft for about $48,000 with a few minor things added.
Trade in my 2002 16ft for $8500, so all I needed was about $40,000 change over.
That was a lot of $ for 2 extra feet long ( mind you all useless to me, use it as storage as it was in the cabin ) and 8 inches wider. I did like the extra width but then again who doesn't

So it looks like a another season with my old pissy 2002 16ft. Ohh well for the 3 times it will see the bay, I can't wait.
cheers
Nick

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”