JUSTUS VINTAGE REEL

Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

JUSTUS VINTAGE REEL

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:43 am

This morning at the Lakes Entrance Foreshore Market I came across and bought a piece of Australian reel history. This was a JUSTUS reel with a solid brass back plate/body and a wooden spool - all in very good condition. The ratchet even still works. I believe these were made in the 1930's - does anyone know more about their history.

Paul
Attachments
JUSTUS REEL.jpg
JUSTUS REEL.jpg (3.76 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

Re: JUSTUS VINTAGE REEL

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:26 pm

From the Australian Fishing Museum. Another reference states that the reels were made in Australia. The reel I bought has a solid brass back and not polished aluminium and is branded JUSTUS.

The maker of Justus range of reels is unknown, although some of the side-cast reels have Pat. Ap. 3795-26 stamped on the back, this patent application was made by D.R Phillips in September 1926. There is no record of whether this patent application was successful. They made both side-cast and Nottingham style reels. The side-cast reels came in various sizes and were available with v-slot and patented trigger release turn-table.

A description of the reels appeared in a newspaper article May 1927: SOMETHING SPECIAL- The “Justus” Casting Reel. The strongest and best casting reel in the world. The barrel Is made of well tested and seasoned wood, the inner flange of which is backed with heavy brass, preventing warping. The back is polished cast aluminium and unbreakable. The adjustment is of the spring and nut principle, with a set screw to prevent nut from falling off. Brass line guard, self-looking, adjustable at four angles- 3 ½’’, 32/6; 4 ½’’, 40/-.

The Nottingham reels were branded “Justus” or “Ark” and came in only 2 sizes. The Ark had ‘Just’ written in mirror image on the inside of the back-plate. They were produced in 4’’ and 3.5’’.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”