Shorter Murray Cod Baitcasting Rod

dnardy
Has liked: 7 times

Shorter Murray Cod Baitcasting Rod

Post by dnardy » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:12 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking for recommendations on a suitable baitcasting rod that's reasonably short (around 6' or so) but heavy for accurate casting of big lures for big cod in rivers and creeks. My front runner is a Venom cork handle baitcaster, and Millerods Cod Freak. Has anyone used a Dobyns Fury? And of course Daiwa, Shimano and Okuma? I would REALLY like a 2 piece though if it's quality isn't compromised. I want casting accuracy front an foremost.

I'd be happy to try a Shimano Cod Raider for the price if people think they are OK.

I already have a Bone Voyage 7'3" for bigger water, I need something for the kayak and skinny water.

dnardy

Re: Shorter Murray Cod Baitcasting Rod

Post by dnardy » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:44 pm

ANyone got a Daiwa Double Beef?

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:14 pm

dnardy wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:12 pm
Hi all,
I'm looking for recommendations on a suitable baitcasting rod that's reasonably short (around 6' or so) but heavy for accurate casting of big lures for big cod in rivers and creeks. My front runner is a Venom cork handle baitcaster, and Millerods Cod Freak. Has anyone used a Dobyns Fury? And of course Daiwa, Shimano and Okuma? I would REALLY like a 2 piece though if it's quality isn't compromised. I want casting accuracy front an foremost.

I'd be happy to try a Shimano Cod Raider for the price if people think they are OK.

I already have a Bone Voyage 7'3" for bigger water, I need something for the kayak and skinny water.
have a look at the Shimano quickfire baitcasting rod.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:21 pm

dnardy wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:44 pm
ANyone got a Daiwa Double Beef?
No, but I have Daiwa Gen Black v2 Pork Chop 5-9kg, 603. Good enough for me. Caught and landed 65cm cod on it.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:32 pm

If you're looking at Dobyns, Millers and Venoms and have a Bone then screw the Raiders of the world. Tcurve premium 21TCP621BC6-12 6-12kg, but it's 6'2. I don't know what else is under 6'4"

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:27 pm

Of the rods you have mentioned I've briefly fished a dobyns and venom and both were nice rods. Used a miller cod freak for the last two seasons cod fishing off the yak and found it to be a good all rounder although a touch heavy for some of the smaller waters out there and a bit heavy in hand especially when twitching lures. I'll be running an edge black widow 666 and 705 to try and get around that. Bit of personal preference but I don't think having a shorter rod is really necessary on a yak and actually wished the codfreak was a bit longer at times.

I wouldn't bother looking at the beef stick, no where near as nice as the others mentioned.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

dnardy

Post by dnardy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:37 am

Thganks for the suggestions all. I'm really after a 2-piece, which is some of reason I'm looking at Raider and Double Beef.

Really limits my choices, I would have ahad a Venom a year ago if they made a 2-piece.

dnardy

Post by dnardy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:57 am

mazman wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:27 pm
Of the rods you have mentioned I've briefly fished a dobyns and venom and both were nice rods. Used a miller cod freak for the last two seasons cod fishing off the yak and found it to be a good all rounder although a touch heavy for some of the smaller waters out there and a bit heavy in hand especially when twitching lures. I'll be running an edge black widow 666 and 705 to try and get around that. Bit of personal preference but I don't think having a shorter rod is really necessary on a yak and actually wished the codfreak was a bit longer at times.

I wouldn't bother looking at the beef stick, no where near as nice as the others mentioned.
Hey mate I love your Youtube channel, it was part of the reason I got a kayak. I've been thinking and I agree about a slightly longer rod, I have trouble getting the line around the front of the kayak sometimes.

I've just come across the Bone 368CBB661XXH Combat Beast 6'6" 2-piece Fast Baitcast - this might be my answer.
It falls between my 7'3 Voyage and my cheap 6'0 Abu Garcia outfit, which will get some lighter line and be used for Yella duty.
Just need to save for it and a nice reel. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

dnardy

Post by dnardy » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:04 pm

Ended up going with a Venom cork handled baitcaster, I've always wanted one.

I also bought a Shimano Cod Raider because I like having a cheap 2-piece as well, as I might strap it to a motorbike on occasion. I may use it on the kayak as its a bit longer and I won't be as sad if I have a slip up and I lose it.
Daiwa Tatula 200 reel to swap between these 2 rods, the Shimano 200 size reels, just don't quite have the drag. Going lefty on the reel for the first time too 😬

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”