New all rounder set-up - What do you think?

Catchsomething

Re: New all rounder set-up - What do you think?

Post by Catchsomething » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:01 pm

Ok guys, just a quick update, I went with a Daiwa 20 Aird-X 702LXS Spin Rod and Daiwa Laguna LT 2500, total of $160.
Went to a few different places so I had a chat with a couple of guys.

The 702LXS was recommended as better than the Catana. One guy said as I am just starting out it would have been better to go with a composite like this one:
https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/ ... 7377-black
as with full graphite there is a chance I will snap it easily. Are they really so delicate?

On the reel there were different opinions. The DAIWA only has 1 year warranty while the Shimano comes with 10. Also the guy who was recommending Shimano showed me the Shimano has a stronger body than the Laguna. I wanted to give the laguna a crack anyway. I have loaded it with a Nomad Pandora x8 ultimate PE fiber Light 10lb. I have trusted the guy. Free spooling at Anaconda if you buy the line with them. He went with mono first and then used 150lm of braid. For the leader I`ll go with a Sunline Siglon FC 10lb which I already have. What do you think? Too light?

My first day out will be in Queenscliff. Do you have a spot to recommend where I am not too far from the water so can lift whatever I catch pretty easily? I was sort of keen to go squids, whatever time of the day ;-)

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:17 pm

Catchsomething wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:01 pm
Ok guys, just a quick update, I went with a Daiwa 20 Aird-X 702LXS Spin Rod and Daiwa Laguna LT 2500, total of $160.

The 702LXS was recommended as better than the Catana. One guy said as I am just starting out it would have been better to go with a composite like this one:
as with full graphite there is a chance I will snap it easily. Are they really so delicate?

On the reel there were different opinions. The DAIWA only has 1 year warranty while the Shimano comes with 10. Also the guy who was recommending Shimano showed me the Shimano has a stronger body than the Laguna. I wanted to give the laguna a crack anyway. I have loaded it with a Nomad Pandora x8 ultimate PE fiber Light 10lb. I have trusted the guy. Free spooling at Anaconda if you buy the line with them. He went with mono first and then used 150lm of braid. For the leader I`ll go with a Sunline Siglon FC 10lb which I already have. What do you think? Too light?

My first day out will be in Queenscliff. Do you have a spot to recommend where I am not too far from the water so can lift whatever I catch pretty easily? I was sort of keen to go squids, whatever time of the day ;-)
Congrats on the purchase.

The line is perfectly fine.
Regarding grpahite rod, yes they are more 'delicate'. Don't dead lift or ben too much, especially the tip.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:53 am

Catchsomething wrote:

Congrats mate!

I think you're good with the 10lb braid, it's a good all round medium and 10lb fluro should be perfect. You can always bump up the fluro, or drop it down depending what you're chasing and the structure around.

Queenscliff pier is pretty high from the water so you'll often have to just lift the squid, an alternative is people using the cheap $5 crab nets to catch the squid. St Leonards pier is another good spot for squid and is closer to the waters edge about 3-4m to the waterlevel.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Catchsomething

Post by Catchsomething » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:35 am

Andrews wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:53 am
Catchsomething wrote:

Congrats mate!

I think you're good with the 10lb braid, it's a good all round medium and 10lb fluro should be perfect. You can always bump up the fluro, or drop it down depending what you're chasing and the structure around.

Queenscliff pier is pretty high from the water so you'll often have to just lift the squid, an alternative is people using the cheap $5 crab nets to catch the squid. St Leonards pier is another good spot for squid and is closer to the waters edge about 3-4m to the waterlevel.
Thanks. Is there any specific technique to lift the squid / fish (assuming I`ll catch one)? I guess you try to bend the rod as less as possible and then lift with the other hand, ideally with gloves to avoid being cut by the leader?!?!

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:46 am

Catchsomething wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:35 am
Thanks. Is there any specific technique to lift the squid / fish (assuming I`ll catch one)? I guess you try to bend the rod as less as possible and then lift with the other hand, ideally with gloves to avoid being cut by the leader?!?!
Just dont lift it towards your body, it will make the rod bend a lot. And dont grab the line with one hand and rod on the other, that will bend your rod too much as well and many broke their rod this way.

Lift and swing sideways straight to the pier without touching the line. Your drag be almost zero, so you need to hold the spool to stop it from spinning due to the low drag setting.

When Andrews goes fishing to St Leonards, go with him, he's a squid master there, you'll learn a lot from him in person.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:50 am

Sebb wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:46 am
Catchsomething wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:35 am
Just dont lift it towards your body, it will make the rod bend a lot. And dont grab the line with one hand and rod on the other, that will bend your rod too much as well and many broke their rod this way.

Lift and swing sideways straight to the pier without touching the line. Your drag be almost zero, so you need to hold the spool to stop it from spinning due to the low drag setting.

When Andrews goes fishing to St Leonards, go with him, he's a squid master there, you'll learn a lot from him in person.
Yeah I agree with this, lift in a way which evenly distributes the weight and doesn't cause a sharp bend. Should be one smooth action!

Yeah, I reckon the squid should be on tonight, but the pier will be hammered tonight.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Catchsomething

Post by Catchsomething » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:58 am

Thanks, guys, super excited for my first squid session.
Andrew, keen for a session together if you have time, I have tried to send a pm but it stays in the outbox, not sure why.

Don Fisher
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Don Fisher » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:29 am

Sometimes I carry 2 with me. 2-4kg for flatties and your smaller salmon.
And a 3-6kg if there’s bigger salmon. Snapper, or Snook. Pretty easy carrying 2.

Catchsomething

Post by Catchsomething » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:32 pm

bowl wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:19 am
For egi I'd go closer to 9ft for land base.
I use 9 ,10ft currently.
Mainly cast distance
Hey, mate, out of curiosity, what rods & reels do you use?

Catchsomething

Post by Catchsomething » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:12 am

Hey guys, squid fishing is becoming addictive and I was thinking to buy a longer rod. I have noticed that sometimes the longer you cast the better the chance to catch something as the majority of pier anglers have low profile, short roads and mainly fish close to the pier.

What rod would you suggest that will not break my bank account (already happened with the jigs :-))

I saw an old review by @Sebb about the Sephia and it made me exclude the Solpara. Do you think a 902 or 860 are too long? Is getting a longer rod going to help with the casting distance? I already have braid, I don`t think the reel does much (maybe I am wrong).

I was thinking:
- Shimano Sephia BB Egi Squid Rods S89M
- Daiwa EMERALDAS X 86ML

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”