Best Surf Fishing Rod

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Best Surf Fishing Rod

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:22 am

Fish Ninja wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:00 pm

Is the shorter but heavier rod going to be more manageable than the longer but lighter rod? Sounds like the inertia generated by a longer rod is the issue.

Yes. Having a weight on the end of it is a different thing to having an unloaded rod. I'm not sure how you'd even cast a 40g on a 13 foot rod one handed, but as soon as I get time, which will be this week, i'll get the Messiah out and figure it out.

Shorter rods are much, much easier to handle. I have a series of 8-9-10-11 foot spin rods, the 8's are my choice for prolonged sessions all things equal. Force is multiplicative, the longer the lever working against you the hard you have to work to manipulate whatever is on the end of it.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Fish Ninja

Post by Fish Ninja » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:04 pm

DougieK wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:22 am
Fish Ninja wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:00 pm

Is the shorter but heavier rod going to be more manageable than the longer but lighter rod? Sounds like the inertia generated by a longer rod is the issue.

Yes. Having a weight on the end of it is a different thing to having an unloaded rod. I'm not sure how you'd even cast a 40g on a 13 foot rod one handed, but as soon as I get time, which will be this week, i'll get the Messiah out and figure it out.

Shorter rods are much, much easier to handle. I have a series of 8-9-10-11 foot spin rods, the 8's are my choice for prolonged sessions all things equal. Force is multiplicative, the longer the lever working against you the hard you have to work to manipulate whatever is on the end of it.
Thanks for elaborating. I appreciate you seeing what can be done with a one handed cast. Possibly the guy at the shop wasn't envisioning an Olympic grade cast but rather something modest but functional. If that does mean twenty meters though, I think I can manage a two handed cast, just with limited grip strength on my leading arm. I should be able to pull down with it well enough though and guide it over with my trailing hand.
Last edited by Fish Ninja on Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Dougie said a really good point.

Even if its light, the leverage ratio casting longer rod will still be more difficult.
E.g. 12ft rod at 150gm casting 40gm lure/sinker, to me is still harder than casting a 9ft rod at 200gm casting the same lure/sinker.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Fish Ninja

Post by Fish Ninja » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:25 pm

Sebb wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Even if its light, the leverage ratio casting longer rod will still be more difficult.
E.g. 12ft rod at 150gm casting 40gm lure/sinker, to me is still harder than casting a 9ft rod at 200gm casting the same lure/sinker.
Cheers, this sort of info is exactly what I need. Thank you both. The Rockstar seems like it's the go at this point. I had been prioritising low weight and had been focused on the lengths people generally seem to recommend for surf fishing but it's valuable to know that a shorter length trumps overall weight as far as maneuverability is concerned. Seems like the Rockstar has a bit more strength than the Surf Assassin too so hopefully it'll hold up to whatever I get on the line.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:15 am

Fish Ninja wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:25 pm
Sebb wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Cheers, this sort of info is exactly what I need. Thank you both. The Rockstar seems like it's the go at this point. I had been prioritising low weight and had been focused on the lengths people generally seem to recommend for surf fishing but it's valuable to know that a shorter length trumps overall weight as far as maneuverability is concerned. Seems like the Rockstar has a bit more strength than the Surf Assassin too so hopefully it'll hold up to whatever I get on the line.

I'd be very very suprised if you could break either of them using a 5000 stradic on anything you're going to hook in Victoria.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”