Sephia BB or Emeraldas X?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Planning to upgrade my Solpara egi rod.

Or any other recommendations around $200 budget?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Sephia BB or Emeraldas X?

Post by dazz999 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:14 pm

Hey Sebb maybe not to much help but i have five squid rod,s including the solpara which is a good rod but my favorite is the emeraldas mx 86l but that,s a bit more than you want to spend .Recently purchased the sephia bb 89m should get them for around $210 have not used it yet but feel,s good and look,s great went for the 89 cause i,m landbased and want to compare daiwa to shimano .For the kayak if that is your plan the sephia 80ml felt really good as reviewed in the recent hooked up mag

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:04 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:14 pm
Hey Sebb maybe not to much help but i have five squid rod,s including the solpara which is a good rod but my favorite is the emeraldas mx 86l but that,s a bit more than you want to spend .Recently purchased the sephia bb 89m should get them for around $210 have not used it yet but feel,s good and look,s great went for the 89 cause i,m landbased and want to compare daiwa to shimano .For the kayak if that is your plan the sephia 80ml felt really good as reviewed in the recent hooked up mag
Thanks dazz.
Yeah ideally is to have the MX but it's over my budget.

I'm going to use it landbased, so yeah you're right, the longer rod be better.
Let me know when you've used it.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:06 am

EGI is my bread and butter and I feel that I can help provide input between these choices.

I have had the experience of fishing with the Daiwa Emeraldas V, X and Shimano's Sephia BB, all of these rods I did enjoy, but I do have a favourite. Standing with generalization and becoming more specific, I feel that whenever we talk about EGI fishing land-based everyone jumps to 8'3 - 8'6 as the standard but I feel this should be circumstancial. If you are fishing off rocks, or the shore you will take advantage of that extra length, but from a pier I personally never missed or wishes for that extra length over a 7'9 EGI rod. If you feel theres a change you'd use this from a kayak, I'd recommend the 7'9.

My experience with both the daiwa and shimano rods as someone who actively uses a Daiwa Emeraldas V (7'9, #1.5-3.5) is that the shimano selphia rods vs diawa emeraldas (both in 8'6) are slightly stiffer and produce a firmer action, over the crisper action of the daiwa. Sephia is a little less sharp with those small micro flicks and as someone who fishes with thier dominant hand I felt less fine focus control with the sephia.

I feel the most important difference that goes beyond brands is the kind of style of EGI fishing you are hoping to acheive.
- If you're looking for a rod that is crisp, sharp and lets you feel every movement of the jig, from a small squid striking, to the water resistance against the jig, to even the feeling of weed floating by touching the jig, I would recommend going as light as you are comfortable. I feel through experience that the rods rated #1.5-3.5 to be more sensitive and better for fine focused movements over the heavier rated rods.
-I would also consider the environments you are fishing, if you are fishing a pier or rocks standing above the water level you will have greater tension of the line and better control of these fine movements.
-I would consider the jig size you are using, the heavier the jig size the less crispness you may feel, I personally have the preference of 2.5-3.0 paired with a #1.5-3.5 rod.

With all this, find the rod that will compliment your style of fishing, both are great alternatives to eachother.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:50 am

Andrews wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:06 am
EGI is my bread and butter and I feel that I can help provide input between these choices.

I have had the experience of fishing with the Daiwa Emeraldas V, X and Shimano's Sephia BB, all of these rods I did enjoy, but I do have a favourite. Standing with generalization and becoming more specific, I feel that whenever we talk about EGI fishing land-based everyone jumps to 8'3 - 8'6 as the standard but I feel this should be circumstancial. If you are fishing off rocks, or the shore you will take advantage of that extra length, but from a pier I personally never missed or wishes for that extra length over a 7'9 EGI rod. If you feel theres a change you'd use this from a kayak, I'd recommend the 7'9.

My experience with both the daiwa and shimano rods as someone who actively uses a Daiwa Emeraldas V (7'9, #1.5-3.5) is that the shimano selphia rods vs diawa emeraldas (both in 8'6) are slightly stiffer and produce a firmer action, over the crisper action of the daiwa. Sephia is a little less sharp with those small micro flicks and as someone who fishes with thier dominant hand I felt less fine focus control with the sephia.

I feel the most important difference that goes beyond brands is the kind of style of EGI fishing you are hoping to acheive.
- If you're looking for a rod that is crisp, sharp and lets you feel every movement of the jig, from a small squid striking, to the water resistance against the jig, to even the feeling of weed floating by touching the jig, I would recommend going as light as you are comfortable. I feel through experience that the rods rated #1.5-3.5 to be more sensitive and better for fine focused movements over the heavier rated rods.
-I would also consider the environments you are fishing, if you are fishing a pier or rocks standing above the water level you will have greater tension of the line and better control of these fine movements.
-I would consider the jig size you are using, the heavier the jig size the less crispness you may feel, I personally have the preference of 2.5-3.0 paired with a #1.5-3.5 rod.

With all this, find the rod that will compliment your style of fishing, both are great alternatives to eachother.
The man I've been waiting for :P

Yes, my preference is also 2.5 to 3.0 jigs. So thinking of ML rod that casts 1.5-3.5 jigs just like you.

Surprisingly my 7ft Daiwa Infeet makes a great squid rod on a kayak, being regular taper and all. So I'm looking for landbased egi rod for rocks and piers to replace my Solpara 832EL. Both emeraldas x and sephia bb be a much better rod I'm sure.
Andrews wrote:
This part here, are you saying the sephia bb is more whippy and less stiff/crisp to emeraldas x?

Also the webpage says sephia bb is 104gm and emeraldas x is 130gm, does this make any difference?
I'll be using 2000 reel that weighs around 190gm.

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:27 pm

I have a BB and love it, I find you can punch out the jigs further with the 9’ length allowing you to cover heaps more ground, and catch more when the squid are sparse in numbers. But even then it won’t really matter. But if you have an emeraldas reel it might look better with an emeraldas rod :gj: .

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:34 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:50 am
Andrews wrote:

The man I've been waiting for :P

Yes, my preference is also 2.5 to 3.0 jigs. So thinking of ML rod that casts 1.5-3.5 jigs just like you.

Surprisingly my 7ft Daiwa Infeet makes a great squid rod on a kayak, being regular taper and all. So I'm looking for landbased egi rod for rocks and piers to replace my Solpara 832EL. Both emeraldas x and sephia bb be a much better rod I'm sure.
Andrews wrote:
This part here, are you saying the sephia bb is more whippy and less stiff/crisp to emeraldas x?

Also the webpage says sephia bb is 104gm and emeraldas x is 130gm, does this make any difference?
I'll be using 2000 reel that weighs around 190gm.
I think that is the right move going the ML version of either of these, I always feel that since squid can be quite gentle with thier aggression at times that going the ligher really plays to your advantage. It means you can feel when the stike stikes and releases, or hold the jig and releases, those indictaor actions of a squid playing with the jig while being a little hesitant.

I found the Shimano Sephia BB to be less whippy, and more of a firm stiff action over the emeraldas which felt more whippy and crisp in those smaller under hand actions. I think the difference between the weights shouldn't make any of difference, both will be light combos. In hand you'd maybe be able to feel the difference, but it shouldn't be too noticeable.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:39 pm

ronan wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:27 pm
I have a BB and love it, I find you can punch out the jigs further with the 9’ length allowing you to cover heaps more ground, and catch more when the squid are sparse in numbers. But even then it won’t really matter. But if you have an emeraldas reel it might look better with an emeraldas rod :gj: .
Hehe would be nice to have matching gear.

Too bad it's lockdown, can't really hold and feel them. BCF is having online deal, spend $300 and get $80 disc. That's like 26% disc.

I think I'm leaning towards Sephia. But I like whippy rod for squid fishing, which what emeraldas x is (per Andrew).

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:51 pm

I’ve got the BB in the 8’6? Version and have no issues. It’s definitely quite stiff but I rate this especially when it’s used as a whiting rod!

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Sebb my head hurt,s nah the only ml rod shimano makes is 8ft and is really light i perfer to have a longer landbased i can get more distance if needed yes the shimano might be a bit firmer than the daiwa . Any good rod example my soft plastic rod is firm and good quality graphite rod with braid i can feel every thing weed , little nip from a fish etc .The solpara you have is a nice rod but has a softer bend/arc i would be happy catching squid with it have one sitting in the corner of the room but when you move a notch from that it move,s up a notch .I think the shimano 89m sweet spot would be for a 3.0 squid jig 4.0 would feel crap

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”