4 new outfits

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

4 new outfits

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:38 am

Doing a GBR live aboard late next year and will be buying 4 new outfits to suit, which will include:

1x HEAVY spin (for GT popping)
1x medium spin (for bait fishing for good size reef fish as well as casting some lures with)
1x medium-heavy jigging outfit (preferable if this rod can double as a trolling rod for pelagics but I don’t know if there’s anything that would suit?)
1x light spin (for bait fishing and smaller reefies)

No hard budget, especially for the heavy spin - I’m happy to break the bank if it means being able to land a 40kg GT.

All suggestions welcome ty

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: 4 new outfits

Post by DougieK » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:22 pm

GT outfit-

Super $
Saltiga 2020 14k (there is no reason for a bigger one) 80lb tasline, Zenaq Tobizo 200.
https://fishhead.com.au/zenaq-tobizo-tc ... sting-rod/

Heads up, this combo will be about $2800, but dead set, if a fish is landable, this will land it.

Less $
Buy a lightly used second hand expo 5500h for about 800 (or borrow mine). Match it with a Murasame PE10 85222-II (this is cam's popping rod) or comparable assassin popmaster XXXH (or borrow mine, Carl and I both use this same rod).
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143820542473

This combo would be approx $1500

Even Less $
Buy one of the old Tcurve 24kg broomsticks that's 8 foot. The Caddy has one. Match it with a Saragosa 14k (once again, or borrow mine).
Should be about 600-700 total.

Everyone will try and tell you you need 100lb line and a 20000 sized reel. It's not true, and if you're planning on doing long sessions it probably actually makes it harder. I hit this one on a 5500 expo (14000 in the new sizes) on 50lb tasline with a rod that broke during the fight.

The rods listed above are the ones I have experience with, rather than what I necessarily consider to be the best on the market. There is a HUGE number of options in the 500-600 range for a quality popping rod that will do you just fine without buying a Tobizo, daiwa and shimano both make quality products in this range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPO3ICbf2Fg

Outside of the big boy gear, I wouldn't spend huge $ on any of the other stuff. On the trip from the above pic/vid which was 10 days at cape york, I basically used a 702 daiwa with my 5k stradic on smaller stuff, and my popping rod with my expo on the other stuff, having taken 9 combos with me.

You'll want to go super super heavy but it's just not worth it if you can't cast your popper for more than 20 minutes because your combo weighs 2kg.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:33 pm

Awesome thanks Dougie! Maybe $2800 might break the bank just a smidge, but the $1500 outfit looks good and suits the budget. Maybe the marussame rod paired with a 10000 Stella? Im pretty brand loyal to shimano reels

I can probably use my 30-50kg terez and 10000 gosa for the medium spin so that’s sorted

That’s an awesome GT. I bet the cape would have been awesome. There’s still a few spots left on this live aboard if you’re interested?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:33 pm
Awesome thanks Dougie! Maybe $2800 might break the bank just a smidge, but the $1500 outfit looks good and suits the budget. Maybe the marussame rod paired with a 10000 Stella? Im pretty brand loyal to shimano reels
The 14xg is the reel you want in the Stellas, it's faster, more capacity and almost the same weight. This is what Carl is using, it's su-fing-perb. I like the expo because it's bulletproof and proven over many years, but the new salty and stellas are both the absolute pinnacle of reel evoltuion.
Kimtown wrote:
I can probably use my 30-50kg terez and 10000 gosa for the medium spin so that’s sorted
Probs be ok. The Terez' weigh a lot though and I think are one piece? You're welcome to come have a fondle of my assassin one day before you go.
Kimtown wrote:
That’s an awesome GT. I bet the cape would have been awesome. There’s still a few spots left on this live aboard if you’re interested?
Timing and money dependent, PM me some details but I probably can't afford it this year, tied up in trying to never work again lol.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:40 am

:ft: A rod that you could look at for the Jigging come trolling would be the Jigstar Phantom. It is 5'7" and comes in both Spin and Overhead configurations so you can match your preferable style of reel.

https://jurofishing.com/?product=phantom-rod-series
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:34 am

Dont forget you will need to somehow get all this gear down there as well. Thats going to count as excess luggage up and down. So budget a few hundred extra for that.

Also don't forget the fact that these trips can go pearshaped at the last minute due to COVID. Which means you are left with gear you will never use.

Ive already had 2 cancel 2 similar trips. Luckily I never bought any gear.

My suggestion would be to just buy lures you think might not be available there, and go there and use the gear they have. Which is generally high end stuff anyway. Can also take a few of your reels if you need as they will fit in your luggage.
If you break one of the hired outfits then it's not going to hurt as bad as having to cancel and having no use for the gear you just bought. Besides the fact you don't have the hassle of walking around airports with the rod tube. You cannot store it anywhere as it won't fit in most lockers nor will it fit in a std taxi, so you will need to allow for the maxi taxi or something similar if you need to travel between airports with it.

But ofcourse if you want to buy your own then there's plenty of options available. Always angling down your end is a good store and has plenty of the good gear from shimano.
The AFTA show will be on soon, so that means new releases, which means older models will start being discounted. That combined with EOFY sales should see you get some decent deals.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:55 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:34 am
Dont forget you will need to somehow get all this gear down there as well. Thats going to count as excess luggage up and down. So budget a few hundred extra for that.

Also don't forget the fact that these trips can go pearshaped at the last minute due to COVID. Which means you are left with gear you will never use.

Ive already had 2 cancel 2 similar trips. Luckily I never bought any gear.

My suggestion would be to just buy lures you think might not be available there, and go there and use the gear they have. Which is generally high end stuff anyway. Can also take a few of your reels if you need as they will fit in your luggage.
If you break one of the hired outfits then it's not going to hurt as bad as having to cancel and having no use for the gear you just bought. Besides the fact you don't have the hassle of walking around airports with the rod tube. You cannot store it anywhere as it won't fit in most lockers nor will it fit in a std taxi, so you will need to allow for the maxi taxi or something similar if you need to travel between airports with it.

But ofcourse if you want to buy your own then there's plenty of options available. Always angling down your end is a good store and has plenty of the good gear from shimano.
The AFTA show will be on soon, so that means new releases, which means older models will start being discounted. That combined with EOFY sales should see you get some decent deals.
FYI it’s a BYO gear charter and I’m planning on posting everyone’s gear up prior and then back home after. The charter company helps accomodate with the postage

Yeah the covid thing is a concern, who knows what will happen. The trip isn’t until November 22, we are hoping covid is eradicated by then. At some point, we just have to move forward with our lives though. By then it’ll be close to 3 years since covid first struck

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:04 pm

Honestly mate I reckon you’d be better off taking multiple cheaper reels vs buying Stella’s etc.

Imo the price of Stella’s and saltigas etc only makes sense when you’re trying to tame the largest of large species and want longevity for charter operators etc. for single trips you’d be hard pressed to break the cheaper stuff.

I’m rocking a Daiwa bg mq 10000 on a crucis pe3-6 popping rod and it’s awesome. Didn’t break a sweat on 20kg tuna. I imagine it would just cope with similar sized gt’s. Any bigger and you’d want the heavier stuff.

If I was going tomorrow I’d be taking my following outfits, none of which break the bank.

Pe2-5 majorcraft giant killer with 5000 biomaster and 30lb braid

Pe3-6 outfit as above with the 10k bg mq

Pe6-10 popping rod and I’d be strongly considering a stella or saltiga. Otherwise I’d be servicing the old 18k gosa and putting carbon drag washers in.

Lox iridium jigging rod with a 10k reel

Then I’d probably be packing a spare 10k reel and a couple spools of 50-80lb braid incase issues present.

hanboy
Has liked: 3 times

Post by hanboy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:45 am

Done a few of these live aboard trips, from GBR to Vanuatu and PNG.

I generally take 6 setups with me, PE3,5 and 8-10 in casting and the same in jigging.

Have had a bit of experience with all the gear but it’s highly dependent on how you use it as well. No point taking a big rod and reel that you can’t handle well, just because it’s meant to tame the biggest GTs. A bit too much info for a post here but PM me if you want to discuss.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:08 am

Lol too many options. Hurting my brain

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”