Reel Size recommendation - noobie

Dusky

Reel Size recommendation - noobie

Post by Dusky » Tue May 11, 2021 6:38 pm

Hey everyone,

New forum member here (also relatively new to fishing). Apologies in advance for the question, I imagine it gets asked a lot.

I’ve been fishing on and off for about 2 years now, only ever at my local river catching primarily small bream on bait.

But after a great short holiday where I done a lot of fishing with with my family I’m starting to get into it a lot more.

I’d like to buy a new reel and rod as I’ve been using an old used one that isn’t in great condition, however I’m not sure what size reel to get.

I’d like to get the most bang for buck versatility wise so I thought if I mentioned what I planned to be fishing with it someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

The setup will be solely for bait fishing, but I plan to be using it in rivers, off piers and in lakes when we travel around. This will also include some fishing in bays from a boat. I’m not targeting any fish in particular, though I always want to catch whatever is biggest.

I’ve been recommended reels from salesmen between 2500 and 4000, Everyone recommended a 7ft rod.

I was thinking maybe a 3500 size reel and 7ft medium power rod, but would love some thoughts from people with more experience.

Thanks for any replies.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Reel Size recommendation - noobie

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue May 11, 2021 7:07 pm

If you are after a really general use set up that will cover a lot of styles of basic bait fishing you are in the right range with a 7ft fast med action rod 2-5kg and 3500 or 4000 size reel. I'd go the 4000 with 12lb braid, as the bigger reel will give you more spool capacity and drag leverage if you come across something that tests the range of your set up. Id look at the rods casting weight range, if you are planning on doing a bit of salt fishing, maybe try something with a higher top end range so you can handle casting heavier weights to keep your bait in place in tides and currents.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue May 11, 2021 10:48 pm

Landbased or boat, it depends on what you're targeting.

Reel size generally is to indicate how much line can it fit and the max drag it can hold. The bigger the more line it can fit and the stronger the drag, but also heavier in weight.

So I'd say, start with that. What are you targeting or expect to catch.

2500 is what usually people use for flathead, small pinkie, squid, etc. Usually with a 10lb lineel.
4000 is for bigger snapper, small'ish gummies. With 15-20lb line.

It's general info ofc, you can go more/less, you get the idea.
So for one fits all, maybe a 3000 with 15lb braid line, and just change the leader line as needed.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed May 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Anaconda has good deals at the moment https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/ ... st-popular
If your bait fishing and using rod holders, get one with a full grip (not split).
If I was only allowed to have 1 setup, I'd get a 7ft 2-4kg rod with a 2500 reel

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”