Post by cobby » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:59 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:12 pm
Did you oil the reel recently?
cobby wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:47 pm
What purple said. If you have, it's got into the anti reverse clutch making it slip. Or there's a bit of crap in it. Or it's full stop failed.

Get the schematic out of the box and pull out the clutch (which will look similar to the one in this pic), place in a small container with a solvent for a few minutes(I like shellite for reels), give it a shake around and place on paper towel for a few more minutes, give it a shake and blow it out with compressed air. Put the reel back together and give it a try. If it still fails after a short while then it's pretty much rooted and you'll need to order a new one and fit it in and all should be all sweet.

If you're game enough you could dismantle it to properly clean it, but those rollers and the tiny springs that hold them are fiddly as anything

I sprayed INOX few weeks ago. Used the reel couple times since with no issue. Never changed the switch thing, always in the lock position.

Started to happen yesterday (reversing while still in lock position) when the kgw was pulling away. Instead of the drag screaming, it was the handle and spoll reversing.

Here's the schematic, you're talking about number 59 (one way clutch)?
59 is the part. You've got to take the rotor off and the bits holding it into the upper collar of the body. You should be able to just grab it out with tweezers when its exposed without having to pull anything else out.

The inox could have seeped into it, bit of salt, anything. Either way it's worth giving it a clean out to see if it is buggered or just oiled up. If it's got anything to do with the actual switch you'll hear a rattle in the reel when you shake it.

As an aside, Shimanos super stopper sealed clutches are the best of any brands, but you can't retrofit one into the Abu

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Re: Anti reverse not working on Abu Revo MGX 2500s

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:40 pm

https://youtu.be/x3XUHXiuNf4

Ok so I took the rotor off. Doesn't seem anything wrong with the switch and the spring. But it's making noises and stuck here and there.
I tried other spin reel and the other spins normally. I guess something wrong inside then?
It doesn't make any noises with the rotor on though.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:26 am

cobby wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:48 pm

59 is the part. You've got to take the rotor off and the bits holding it into the upper collar of the body. You should be able to just grab it out with tweezers when its exposed without having to pull anything else out.

The inox could have seeped into it, bit of salt, anything. Either way it's worth giving it a clean out to see if it is buggered or just oiled up. If it's got anything to do with the actual switch you'll hear a rattle in the reel when you shake it.

As an aside, Shimanos super stopper sealed clutches are the best of any brands, but you can't retrofit one into the Abu
Okay so I have to take part number 56 off and take out the part 59. And clean up. I'll try that tomorrow morning.
Thanks.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:44 am

If u need help I'm in altona meadows pm me

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:03 am

cobby wrote:
What purple said. If you have, it's got into the anti reverse clutch making it slip. Or there's a bit of crap in it. Or it's full stop failed.

Get the schematic out of the box and pull out the clutch (which will look similar to the one in this pic), place in a small container with a solvent for a few minutes(I like shellite for reels), give it a shake around and place on paper towel for a few more minutes, give it a shake and blow it out with compressed air. Put the reel back together and give it a try. If it still fails after a short while then it's pretty much rooted and you'll need to order a new one and fit it in and all should be all sweet.

If you're game enough you could dismantle it to properly clean it, but those rollers and the tiny springs that hold them are fiddly as anything
Ok so I opened it. Don't have shellite at home (any alternatives? Like daily home stuff I can use, use WD40 is a good idea?). So I just gave it a wipe.

There's like skid marks in side on the octagon shape thing. Could this cause the roller pins thingy to slip?
Might need a new one.
fishnut wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:44 am
Thanks a lot. I just gave it a quick clean and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll msg you. Might need a new anti reverse clutch.
Now I need to go out and hook a fish to test it.

Or I could just get a mate to pull the line/drag and see if it'll reverse or not. :)
Attachments
IMG20201231105617_resize_72.jpg
IMG20201231114039_resize_58.jpg
Last edited by Sebb on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:08 pm

I had this exact same problem on my Penn battle II, was ashame because it was such a great reel otherwise. Because I'm always busy with work and family it was more economical for me to go out and buy a new reel. I tried to claim warrantee but who keeps thier receipts these days, lost mine the same day I bought it. Anyways, goodluck with the repair mate, hope it works out

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:43 pm

Kenle wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:08 pm
I had this exact same problem on my Penn battle II, was ashame because it was such a great reel otherwise. Because I'm always busy with work and family it was more economical for me to go out and buy a new reel. I tried to claim warrantee but who keeps thier receipts these days, lost mine the same day I bought it. Anyways, goodluck with the repair mate, hope it works out
Thanks.

Since this is a good and expensive reel, I'm really keen to try to fix it. If it was one of my cheaper reels then I'd do the same.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:50 pm

Sebb wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:03 am
cobby wrote:

Ok so I opened it. Don't have shellite at home (any alternatives? Like daily home stuff I can use, use WD40 is a good idea?). So I just gave it a wipe.

There's like skid marks in side on the octagon shape thing. Could this cause the roller pins thingy to slip?
Might need a new one.
fishnut wrote:
Thanks a lot. I just gave it a quick clean and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll msg you. Might need a new anti reverse clutch.

Or I could just get a mate to pull the line/drag and see if it'll reverse or not. :)
Definently not WD40 or any sort of penetrating lubricant spray. Methylated spirits can be used and most people have that laying around.

If there's obvious skid marks then it's definently slipped a fair bit and would be best to replace the whole clutch assembly. You've gone half way, so may aswell open the rest of it up and give it a clean, look over and regrease. Inox mx6 in the squeeze tube if you want light winding resistance for a finesse reel(downside is more frequent servicing as it's not quite as tacky as others), mx6 in the tub is a bit thicker and slightly tackier and better as an alrounder, Mercury Marine 2-4-C for anything heavier duty that cops a flogging (can be mixed with the squeeze tube of mx6 to lower its viscosity.) Its to hard to say from the video why it's jumpy and noisy, could be as minor as what you've taken off by then actually holds the pinion in place

And when using the Inox mx3 spray to protect any reel ALWAYS a millisecond spray on a small rag and wipe the reel with that. Spraying it direct onto the reel can lead to all sorts of issues inside including gearing problems due to the spray effectively cleaning all the grease out. And never use WD40 on a reel. Never, ever.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:08 am

cobby wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:50 pm
Sebb wrote:
cobby wrote:

Might need a new one.
fishnut wrote:

Definently not WD40 or any sort of penetrating lubricant spray. Methylated spirits can be used and most people have that laying around.

If there's obvious skid marks then it's definently slipped a fair bit and would be best to replace the whole clutch assembly. You've gone half way, so may aswell open the rest of it up and give it a clean, look over and regrease. Inox mx6 in the squeeze tube if you want light winding resistance for a finesse reel(downside is more frequent servicing as it's not quite as tacky as others), mx6 in the tub is a bit thicker and slightly tackier and better as an alrounder, Mercury Marine 2-4-C for anything heavier duty that cops a flogging (can be mixed with the squeeze tube of mx6 to lower its viscosity.) Its to hard to say from the video why it's jumpy and noisy, could be as minor as what you've taken off by then actually holds the pinion in place

And when using the Inox mx3 spray to protect any reel ALWAYS a millisecond spray on a small rag and wipe the reel with that. Spraying it direct onto the reel can lead to all sorts of issues inside including gearing problems due to the spray effectively cleaning all the grease out. And never use WD40 on a reel. Never, ever.
Wait I'm confused. So INOX got into the clutch is bad and need to clean it hence I thought WD40 to get rid off the grease. But INOX as a lubricant for the rest is good (obviously). Or i got that wrong and the clutch also need a bit of lubricant?

Yeah I have methylated spirits, I'll use that.
Thanks heaps btw. I have a feeling I might need a new clutch.

A bit scared to open the body, last time I did that to my old and cheap reel, parts gone everywhere and couldn't put them back, lost parts etc.
😅

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:39 am

Sebb wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:08 am
cobby wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:50 pm
Sebb wrote:
cobby wrote:

Might need a new one.
fishnut wrote:

Wait I'm confused. So INOX got into the clutch is bad and need to clean it hence I thought WD40 to get rid off the grease. But INOX as a lubricant for the rest is good (obviously). Or i got that wrong and the clutch also need a bit of lubricant?

Yeah I have methylated spirits, I'll use that.
Thanks heaps btw. I have a feeling I might need a new clutch.

A bit scared to open the body, last time I did that to my old and cheap reel, parts gone everywhere and couldn't put them back, lost parts etc.
😅
Inox is a brand name like Shimano is. https://www.inoxmx.com/products/ The clutch doesn't need a drop of anything on it. That's when it'll start slipping badly if it gets more than the slightest of films of oil or grease on the rollers.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”