Rock fishing/LBG Setup

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Rock fishing/LBG Setup

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Doug probably has better advice to offer but I’d be looking for less than 1m, outgoing tide and offshore wind if it’s a spot I’ve never fished before. Don’t be in a rush to get lines in, just sit and watch the waves and make sure the spot you’re hoping to fish from isn’t having waves go over it.

Don’t be afraid to find another spot or even go home if it’s looking a bit suss. I reckon a lot of the fatalities that occur are because old mate decides he’s fishing from punchbowl on Saturday no matter what and doesn’t allow for the conditions on the day.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Kage79 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 am
Thanks for that info! I've read a lot of your posts, DougieK! I'm looking at the Bluewater version of the Saltist (I should've been more specific). A bit cheaper and I thought I'd put more money into the reel.

I didn't realise the Trevally would be so timid but more than happy for Kingfish, sharks, salmon and Snapper to bite! Getting very excited as I'm heading out with a mate on Saturday!

I'm from Geelong so heading down towards Lorne and Apollo Bay is quite easy for me, thanks Senior!

Apart from the safety aspect of things, is there anything else I should be aware of, or trying?

You've both been a great help and it's truly appreciated!
I would fish the Grey River rocks on the Lorne side of bridge at the last 2 hours of the low tide and the first hour of the high, you will see big clear sand patches within casting distance, chuck a bait in there and you will get some, burley is essential, and, the best by far are cloudy overcast days, at low tide the swell won't be much of an issue, good luck

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:17 pm

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:23 pm

I write about rock fishing a lot on here. I would strongly suggest reading this thread

http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... 05&t=23090

and continuing to ask questions in there. This allows us to keep all of the info in one thread, which we can later direct new poeple too.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Kage79

Post by Kage79 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Couldn't agree more with the safety side of things.

You've all been a huge help! Thanks so much!!

I'll jump over to the thread above and keep researching.

Cheers, guys!

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”