Cod Baitcast Combo

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Cod Baitcast Combo

Post by ronan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi everyone,
planning an overnighter with my Dad towards the ovens on some cod, was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a baitcast combo from around 150 to $300. Been eyeing off this slx combo from anaconda, but I really don't know where to start.
https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/ ... BP90154530
Any recommendations for some cod lures would be great too. I'd appreciate any advice.
thanks,
Ronan.

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Cod Baitcast Combo

Post by matari » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:37 pm

A Shimano cod raider and a Curado would definitely be my preferred setup for throwing lures at cod but with your price range you could probably change the reel to a casitas to fit your budget. i can only vouch for surface lures as that's all i've caught them on. The koolabung cod cracker 120mm has a very loud action and displaces a lot of water, i like the pink colour. The codger surface lure is also another great lure not as loud of an action as it is plastic but does still displace quite a bit of water.
Cheers matari

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:13 pm

matari wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:37 pm
A Shimano cod raider and a Curado would definitely be my preferred setup for throwing lures at cod but with your price range you could probably change the reel to a casitas to fit your budget. i can only vouch for surface lures as that's all i've caught them on. The koolabung cod cracker 120mm has a very loud action and displaces a lot of water, i like the pink colour. The codger surface lure is also another great lure not as loud of an action as it is plastic but does still displace quite a bit of water.
Cheers matari
thanks heaps, I’ll definitely have a good look at the raider, what pound braid would i put on the casitas?

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Post by matari » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:24 pm

ronan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:13 pm
matari wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:37 pm
Cheers matari
thanks heaps, I’ll definitely have a good look at the raider, what pound braid would i put on the casitas?
50lb braid 50/60lb leader
Cheers matari

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:30 pm

50lb braid/50lb leader is a good start as mentioned. learn the fg knot if you don't know it.

lures there's sooooo many these days, stump jumper no1s, oar gee plow, Australian crafted invader, spinner baits, koolabung cod cracker or similar surface lures, my personal favourite cod lure is the 85mm and 100mm swagman jumbucks.

have a look for something around the 6-10kg 6" baitcast. shimano raider's, abu veritas etc. and a reel to match curado 200, abu revo, or whatever fits your budget.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 pm

I have a catana baitcast rod and its good enough, landed couple fish on it. And Caenan baitcast.
Though I also have Diawa T3 reel and Gen Black rod, I still use my Catana and Caenan.
My cod on surface lure record isnt great, but those mentioned are generally what I use too.
Otherwise, Stumpjumper.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 am

Get something with a bit of length if you can, I wouldn't bother with a rod under 6'. That I can think of the cod raider is one of the better options in your budget but if you can find a good sale the tatula 661hb is a great stick.

For lures I would grab some storm arashi cranks, bassman codman spinnerbaits and jackall pompadours.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”