Baitrunner questions.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Baitrunner questions.

Post by April Fool » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi peoples
I have just started using baitrunners in fresh water. I use them in open waters (such as the channels ) as I believe if I use them in snaggy water the fish will be in the snag before I know it That's my idea anyway.

I have the cheapest Shimano model...the ST. From the few bites I have had, I have noticed that the line hasn't run despite it being on freespool but the bites were minute. Perhaps I was expecting too much. When setting the drag, I have noticed that the drag is not as smoorh as other reels I have. I can live with that.

I intend on getting another couple reels, possibly larger. Just wondering if there is much difference (performance wise) as you spend more money. I am not interested in the expensive Thunnus but if the 'D' has a lot smoother drag or line running capability, then I may pay the extra money. Also, the Penn liveliners, are they worth looking at?
Cheers
Team Bender
Upset at allegations that the Trivago chick is cheating on me!

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Baitrunner questions.

Post by Mattblack » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:11 pm

I've got a Thunnus and an OC, I reckon the difference between the 2 isn't worth the extra cash. I only use them for gummys and snapper, so it's more about letting them go for that initial run rather than detecting nibbles (that's what the rod tip's for)

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:23 pm

The secondary drag on the liveliners doesn't go as high as the shimanos. That may or may not be an issue for you. They are however a lot easier to open up and service yourself if they do have issues.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:17 pm

Regrease the drag stack. It's only a circlip on the top of the spool that holds it all in.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:19 pm

i like the shimano oc baitrunner

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”