booya's reels journal

Booya

Re: booya's reels journal

Post by Booya » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:11 pm

continue...
Attachments
IMG_0533.JPG
gear has mild corrosion, as expected on an uncoated main gear.
IMG_0532.JPG
all parts cleaned, ready for assembly.
IMG_0531.JPG
bearings after flush.
IMG_0530.JPG
bearing feels very dense, upon opening shield turns out bearing was clogged up with some yellow substance.
IMG_0528.JPG
the roller wasnt very smooth, turns out that its only a plastic insert rolling on a roller shaft.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Anyone else using tapatalk that can't see the captions ?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:17 pm

How do you get that kind of bearing open? Is there a special grease for them?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Booya

Post by Booya » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:22 pm

4liters wrote:How do you get that kind of bearing open? Is there a special grease for them?
I oil bearings using medium thickness aftermarket corrosion resistance oil though you can fill it up with normal grease but rotation becomes heavy, bearing can be open with carefully inserting needle on either end of open ended circle clip retainer. If bearing has rubber seal, highly likely seal will not go back into place which shouldn't be open unless bearing is seized.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:54 am

I rebuilt my charter specials the bearings I got from the local bearing supplier and they came with the seals fitted which I removed I am not a fan off sealed bearings.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:56 am

Did you treat the corrosion prior to assembling the reel

Booya

Post by Booya » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:39 am

All gear and most internal are washed down to get rid off the access grease and oil then they are bathed in ultrasonic machine with solution to get rid of micro salt residue. I spray gear with corrosion repair oil that are customised for reel only to prevent further corrosion prior to assembly. To fix it totally, you can use Dremel tool to polish imperfection which i plan to purchase for next upgrade though i think its best to replace the gear rather than tempering with it .

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:52 am

sloth wrote:Anyone else using tapatalk that can't see the captions ?
Going by the lack of replies perhaps not!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:56 pm

The daiwa freams pictured here is one of my spare reels.
Booya has done a great job on the reel and it came back a lot better conditiin than what it was when it went to him.
My Cousin had got saltwater in the reel and didn't clean it after use hence why the reel is like that.
He did a good job servicing it. Although not 100% perfect its as good as it will get without changing some worn out parts due to corrosion.
I would happily recommend him to members here.
Some more reels will be going there when I feel they need a service.
Cheers

Booya

Post by Booya » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:52 pm

purple5ive wrote:The daiwa freams pictured here is one of my spare reels.
Booya has done a great job on the reel and it came back a lot better conditiin than what it was when it went to him.
My Cousin had got saltwater in the reel and didn't clean it after use hence why the reel is like that.
He did a good job servicing it. Although not 100% perfect its as good as it will get without changing some worn out parts due to corrosion.
I would happily recommend him to members here.
Some more reels will be going there when I feel they need a service.
Cheers
thanks purple5ive, glad you are happy with it :-D .

this next reel i did was Shimano vanquish, it is the one reel that shares most idea with Shimano Stella fe with a much lighter in weight.

reel was in pretty poor shape with non functioning handle, locked roller, and rough rotation

I did record most of the reel apart from the roller which has a disassembled internal bearing sticking to bail arm. it did took sometimes to pull it apart but rotor and bail arm were saved.
Attachments
IMG_0339.JPG
condition of handle shaft is ok with a little corrosion.
IMG_0340.JPG
this is whats left on internal of handle when disassembled, all internal has been eaten up by corrosion even the handle itself was not salvageable.
IMG_0362.JPG
salt and sand has intruded the anti reverse clutch of the reel, this reel has a build in clutch that requires you to fully disassembles it to do an overhaul. I do not recommend an attempt on servicing this reel yourself without the right tool and very stable hands.
IMG_0361.JPG
salt has crystallized on the back of the reel
IMG_0335.JPG
back cover was stuck with what seems as an attempt on service that has damaged it letting saltwater to enter the reel with drainage blocked much has crystallized
IMG_0343.JPG
a glimpse of the internal
IMG_0337.JPG
side plate looks a little corroded not as bad as main body.
IMG_0338.JPG
the main gear, although the reel shows much corrosion the main gear looks to have little to no corrosion at all
IMG_0341.JPG
most part of the reel has been successfully disassembled leaving the most challenging part with pins stuck in the body, though after some patients and ingenuity i was able to pull it all out with barely any damage.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”